Fixing a Squeaky Couch

My couch is approximately 23 years old. I bought it in California. It is lovely and very well made. I had it recovered once about 12 years ago. It has a modern design and has held up so well. It still looks like new.

Both ends have developed a squeak which only happens with the weight from initially sitting down. Thankfully it does not continue to make a noise from shifting positions, etc. I had the upholsterer come out and he opened the liner from underneath to check it out, but could not find any obvious problem.

It does not have springs like some couches do. It is entirely made of wood framework with each section individually tied off to connect it to the next. He said that the problem is with an area of the wood and there is no way to know which section it could be unless I have it reupholstered again. They would have to take it completely apart and apply weights to each section to find which pieces of wood to replace. Any ideas as to how to rid a wood frame of squeaks?

By Glenda from TN

Answers

February 28, 2010 Flag

My couch squeaks. It's only 2 years old and we've never bounced on it. It doesn't matter where you sit down, but it squeaks. It's getting louder as the days go by. Does anybody know what to do to stop a squeaky couch?

Lawleete

Answers:

Fixing a Squeaky Couch

Try contacting the store where you bought it. If this doesn't help, try to contact the manufacturer. Use Google to help with the search. (04/15/2005)

By mkymlp

Fixing a Squeaky Couch

Turn it over and spray all metal hinges with WD40. (04/17/2005)

By

Fixing a Squeaky Couch

We had a new couch that squeaked badly, too. I turned it over, then removed the staples from front edge and corner of dust cover. There are several long S-shaped springs running front to rear. The squeaks were from the ends of those springs where they connected to the frame. I srayed that joint with Silicon spray (WD40 is too greasy). So quiet now. Finally, I tapped in a couple small nails to put fabric back in. (06/29/2008)

By Don

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RepairFebruary 28, 2010
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🎉
🎄