ICE - In Case of Emergency

I received this email from a relative and I thought it was the "BEST IDEA" since sliced bread. This may have been sent through ThriftyFun before but I think it was worth sending in case it was missed. Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident, when they come across your cell phone.

It is called ICE (In Case of Emergency). We all carry our mobile phones with names and numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Which number is the contact person in case of an emergency?

Hence this ICE Campaign It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.' For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

A great idea that will make a difference! Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today! Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

By Diane from Myrtle Beach, SC

My LG phone through Verizon has this feature programed into the phone. ICE numbers come up in red. Mine is LG model 3850

We keep a jar in a prominent location in the front of the fridge labeled ICE. We have placed numbers of family members, lists of prescription drugs, and names and phone numbers of our doctors. I taped a notice to the front door "Ice list in the Fridge".

Harlean from Arkansas

I just received a new cell phone that has emergency contacts the very first thing in my contact list. It also have a place for personal info. In that area I put my name, address, spouse name, phone number, allergies, phycian's name, any medical conditons and a list of all meds I currently take. I also end with " I give consent for treatment" My old phone did not have this feature so be sure to check your phone

When you first open my phone I have my name and that I am a diabetic.