Correct Way to Note Payee on Money Order

If I fill out a money order do I have to use the full legal name for the payee or can I use the first and last name that I know him by (e.g. if I know him by Bobby Smith, but his full legal name is Robert James Smith can I just use Bobby Smith on the money order if I want)?

By Randy from San Diego, CA

If he has to show an ID to cash it, I would make it out to Robert Smith. If he's going to deposit it into a bank account, I don't think it matters. I have deposited checks made out to Barb instead of Barbara and they cleared the bank with no problem.

Depending upon how the check will be cashed it can either make make a difference or none at all. If it is batched with other checks for deposit, the payee won't even be looked at. If deposited through a remote deposit system as a lot of businesses do now, it won't be noticed. If it is brought to a bank for cash, it might be.

Make it out to whatever his state issued ID says or the name on his bank account.

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 29, 2010
Crochet Owl Note Hanger
Making a Crochet Owl Note Hanger
Note Hanger
Homemade Note Hangers
Post-It Notes
Making a Post-It Note Holder
Flower Pot Note Holder
Making a Flower Pot Note Holder
🎄
🍂