Homemade Door Screen

contest winner icon

We don't have a screen on our door because the doggies ruin it. My German Shepherd jumped through our glass storm door when it was a juvenile, and we haven't had a screen since. We leave our front door open all the time but we need a screen because I hate flies. I put up a small pressure rod for a curtain at the top of our front door opening then I put one sheer white panel on the rod. This works wonders for keeping flies and other bugs out and it lets air in and the dogs and cats just push it out of the way to get in and out.

I was going to order a velcro screen from mail order but thought I would try this first. I am glad I did. The sheer see through panel moves in the breeze and the flies don't like to see movement.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

I like this tip, I've often thought about doing it myself. And if we ever get moved into the house that we started building two years ago, that tip just might solve the problem of the 30 windows that we bought from a salvage yard that didn't have screens included.

Great tip.

I have 2 different places I can use this tip and save big bucks also. Front door of course, and then storm door between house & garage that I poked my thumb through the screen, can always find those sheer curtains for next to nothing at yard sales. Thanks again!

Added hint magnets or marbles sewed into the bottom would give some added weight. Excited to try this hint!

Hey, that is a GREAT idea! Thank you for the tip!

What a great idea! Here in southwest Washington we don't need screen doors year round so this is something I will definitely do, especially since I live in a rental and couldn't attach a screen door. Really like the lace curtain idea, too. One can see out well but people would have a difficult time seeing in! You all are a bunch of super ladies! Thank you!

I will probably have the entire website jumping down my throat for criticizing this homemade screen door tip. How can anyone not afford to have a screen repaired, yet hang a curtain in an open doorway to the outside? I can not even picture this without cringing and, to be perfectly honest, a bit of disgust.

Who reading this Feedback would even think of fixing a "screen" to a door problem in this fashion, and I can see most of you rolling your eyes as you read the original post.

There is Frugal and then there is Thrifty. In my world, the 2 do not intermingle and let me explain why. Being frugal is a mind set that could be most accurately described as a Puritanical lifestyle, a way of life that almost takes the joy out of living; the deprivation of the simplest of pleasures [do to either cost or the negative feeling an impetuous purchase would bring] even though most of your readers would have creative ideas to replace one with another. To buy oneself an off-the cuff gift or even a few flowers at a local store brings a spontaneity to life and a lift to the heart.

From the postings I read [and I read pages of them], the thrifty-based ideas say to me, "gee, why didn't I think of that?" The frugal posts, make me ask myself, "why would anyone go to such effort and trouble?" I keep going back to the absolute prime example of frugality I have come across; not having screen on a door repaired, but rather hang a curtain in its place for the outside world to see.

I don't mind being criticized. Feel free, but rather than taking joy out of my life it brings me lots of joy and happiness to find simple things that through research have worked, and I am a very joyful person.

My dogs would simply tear up a screen door, and glass is not safe with a dog like mine, plus I have found out that in my situation, I have the sheer panel in front of the kitchen, and in the front door, and it has kept those two areas much cooler and dong ask me how, it just has. I am going to put some weights at the bottom later of the sheer curtains, and I am so amused at how the flys wont even fly under the panel or at the sides when the wind blows, I guess they don't think of it or don't like how it moves.

Robyn

This is a great tip Robyn. My husband made less than $15,000 last year because construction completely shut down, and I cannot get a job for various reasons. I don't have money to repair a screen door either, and being thrifty and creative is a way of life for me. It's actually kind of fun to be able to use things in different ways than intended, and I enjoy being one.of.a.kind. There are a lot of people like me and you, and what makes us special is the fact that we do what we have to do, and try not to offend anyone. You go, girl, and continue to use your God-given talents!

June 8, 2010 Flag

I use a "screen" made up of two lacey curtain panels sewn together, hooked on my open front door, so I can have air, and also privacy. You might think about something like that for your child's room, if you like to keep their doors just open enough to keep an eye on them.

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

Answers:

Homemade Door Screen

Great frugal idea , especially if one could design a swing out curtain rod that covers the door opening when it is open, otherwise it might get in the way when closing/opening? (01/20/2007)

By lyndagayle62

Screen Door
Making a Screen Door
Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsJune 8, 2010
Cat scratching at a screen door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Screen Doors
Screen Door
Repairing a Screen Door
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
🎉
🎄