Browsing: Purse Safety Tips

Deterring Purse Snatchers

We seem to have more than our fair share (?) of purse snatchers in our community. It seems to get worse near the holiday season. My purse always seems very heavy so I like to set it in the child seat of my shopping cart. I try to never take my hand off it. But just in case I do for a brief moment, I ALWAYS loop the child safety strap through my purse handle and lock it! That way if someone does try to snatch the purse they will have a big surprise when the shopping cart tips over or whatever! I still don't leave my purse unattended but it is just an extra precaution that will slow down or discourage the thief who is walking past you in the store!

By Grandma Margie

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I do the same thing Grandma. I loop the child seatbelts around my purse handle a few times and in weird ways so it would be difficult for someone to take. I like you don't take unnecessary chances but sometimes you tend to forget and caught up in shopping and walk away for a quick moment.

Since your community is experiencing this problem, try recruting friends to use this ploy; Purchase inexpensive purses from Goodwill, fill them with Bible tracts (available free from most churches), self help literature, ads from counciling facilities, ect. Perhaps some church groups would even be willing to offer mentoring these offenders, and you could leave that suggestion in the purse also.They may start to become discouraged of trying to steal or even learn a lesson.

The purse snatchers are becoming more and more proficient. I was recently in New Orleans and had my wallet and cell phone stolen right out of my Ameribag (fits up under your arm) either when I had it hanging right beside me on a chair at the Cafe du Monde or while it was under my arm while walking through the market place down in that same area. My advice is to wear no jewelry, put your money and identification in a pouch or "belly bag" under your clothing. I am hearing that this activity is rampant down there.

And here I thought I was the only one doing that!

I have used a shoulder strap bag for about 50 years. The bag never leaves my shoulder even in the grocery store. Try www.travelsmith.com for bags with steel in the straps and made from slash-proof materials if you are really worried about slash and grab purse snatchers.

I do the same with my purse. And something else I do when I stop for gas the minute I step out of the car I lock ALL the doors since my purse is still in the car. On the evening news a few years ago when women were filling up their tank someone was opening up the passenger door on the other side of the car, taking their purse and running off. I lock my car doors every time I get out for any reason.

Man Trying to Steal Woman's Purse
Purse Safety Tips
Budget & Finance ShoppingNovember 26, 2004
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Plarn coin purse.
Plarn Coin Purse
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Purse decorated with CDs.
Making a CD Purse
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:42:10 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.