Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Canned Spinach

I have a case of canned spinach. Does anyone have any good recipes?

By Terri

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By RSBlain12/29/2010

There are wonderful recipes for canned spinach on the Popeye site: www.popeyespinach.com/recipes.php

By Kathie [1]09/24/2010

I like it best by draining off all but about 1 - 2 tblsp. liquid, and heat thoroughly in microwave. Then add 3 - 4 slices of American processed cheese on top, in small pieces. Microwave until chese melts. Stir. If not cheesy to your liking, add more, heat, stir.

By Dandelion09/21/2010

Food bank! Then you can have a tax write off.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]09/15/2010

My favorite is:
canned spinach
canned pinto beans
1-2 tbl flour
Salt and pepper to taste, heat spinach in pan with little oil, then add flour to make a roux/gravy, you can add butter if you want, then add can of un-drained beans, roll into flour tortillas. My mom used to make this with fresh spinach, homemade pintos and homemade tortillas.

By Anonymous [848]09/15/2010

I love canned spinach heated, drained and splashed with vinegar or drizzled with a teaspoon or so of minced garlic that was sautéed in a tablespoon of olive oil for a minute. You can use it in oh so many recipes but here are some canned spinach recipes that will give you lots of ideas: popeyespinach.com/recipes.php

If you keep in mind that 1 cup cooked and drained is the same as 1 pound fresh you can adjust almost any recipe.

By elva [1]09/14/2010

I just heat and eat. My aunt chops boiled eggs up in hers, but I don't.

By patricia [1]09/13/2010

I drain them only leaving a small amount of juice and mix them in with beans and cheese then I microwave it til warm and spread it over club crackers and serve with fruit. Also, you can mix them in eggs and leftover meat and stuffing or breadcrumbs to make an omelet or quiche.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

I just came into a case of canned spinach and need some recipes for using it. Thanks.

Kathy from Columbia, MO

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

allrecipes.com

Canned spinach can be used as you would frozen. Just make sure spinach is well drained and most of the liquid is removed. Otherwise your lasagna will be very watery. (03/16/2008)

By MCW

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

• Drain the water and mix it with some canned soup. You'll be increasing the nutrients multifold!
  • Use drained canned spinach instead of marinara sauce on pasta. A little olive oil, some oregano and basil, and Parmesan cheese, toss and eat -- yum!
  • Use drained canned spinach on pizza crust in lieu of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and you've got a great new pizza taste!
  • Mix with scrambled eggs and cheese.
  • Mix with rice and cheese. (03/16/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

Make Italian wedding soup! Combine chicken broth, "ball" pasta, spinach, and small meatballs. (03/17/2008)

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

Try easy creamed spinach. Make a half cup of simple white sauce. Season as desired. Press most of the water out of a can of spinach, add it to the sauce and heat on low 'till serving temperature is reached. (03/18/2008)

By U*u*U

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

You could make quiche. (03/19/2008)

By suzin

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

Here's a great recipe I learned at a Pampered Chef party. Use as much or as little as you want with this recipe. You chop into cubes, lunch meat of ham and turkey. I usually use 2 parts turkey to 1 part ham. Mix with 1/2 can of spinach, 1/2 bag of shredded fiesta blend cheese and enough mayo to hold together, usually 2 large tablespoons. Mix well. Take 2 cans of Pillsbury crescent rolls and lay each piece in a circle on a pizza stone, with tips on outside. Take your meat ingredients and put a spoonful in each large side or roll, bring the tail up to the mound and tuck under, repeat. Now it looks like a wreath when finished. Cook until crescent rolls are browned about 25 minutes at the temperature the crescent rolls state. It has a great taste and there are never any leftovers. My daughter loves this and even asks for more spinach in it. (03/23/2008)

By katluvsbears

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

I was involved with a feeding ministry and they had many, many donations of canned spinach to try to use up. Here are some of the things they did and some ideas I found on the internet:
  • use canned spinach in quiche
  • blend in a blender and add to soups and stews
  • blend in a blender and use in chocolate brownies. It is said that if you let the brownies cool completely the taste of the spinach is gone.
  • add spinach puree to meatballs and meatloaf
(05/31/2008)

By fultimers

RE: Recipes Using Canned Spinach

I like to just drain add vinegar heat and eat. Yummy! (01/26/2009)

By Alice