Recipes Using Canned Spinach

I have a case of canned spinach. Does anyone have any good recipes?

By Terri

I drain them only leaving a small amount of juice and mix them in with beans and cheese then I microwave it til warm and spread it over club crackers and serve with fruit. Also, you can mix them in eggs and leftover meat and stuffing or breadcrumbs to make an omelet or quiche.

I just heat and eat. My aunt chops boiled eggs up in hers, but I don't.

I love canned spinach heated, drained and splashed with vinegar or drizzled with a teaspoon or so of minced garlic that was sautéed in a tablespoon of olive oil for a minute. You can use it in oh so many recipes but here are some canned spinach recipes that will give you lots of ideas:

If you keep in mind that 1 cup cooked and drained is the same as 1 pound fresh you can adjust almost any recipe.

My favorite is:

canned spinach

canned pinto beans

1-2 tbl flour

Salt and pepper to taste, heat spinach in pan with little oil, then add flour to make a roux/gravy, you can add butter if you want, then add can of un-drained beans, roll into flour tortillas. My mom used to make this with fresh spinach, homemade pintos and homemade tortillas.

I like it best by draining off all but about 1 - 2 tblsp. liquid, and heat thoroughly in microwave. Then add 3 - 4 slices of American processed cheese on top, in small pieces. Microwave until chese melts. Stir. If not cheesy to your liking, add more, heat, stir.

There are wonderful recipes for canned spinach on the Popeye site:

Top view of a aluminum can containing spinach
Recipes Using Canned Spinach
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesSeptember 13, 2010
Fava Bean Puree with Spinach Topping
Recipes Using Spinach
Spinach Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Cooked Spinach Recipes
Cooked Spinach Recipes
Freezing Spinach
Freezing Spinach