Recipes Using Canned Collard Greens

Category Vegetables
The right recipe can make even canned greens taste as good as fresh. This page contains recipes using canned collard greens.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This recipe is very convenient and allows the cook to still cook healthily.

Directions:

Fry bacon of choice until done. Remove bacon, drain, cool and chop.

Place greens in a good-sized sauce pan, and add 1 cup water and chopped bacon. Years ago, we would have added a few Tbsp. of the bacon grease along with the bacon, but not today. Cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes.

In the meantime, cut up cabbage a little larger than you would do shredded cabbage. Add to the pot, salt to taste and cover with lid. Continue to cook over medium heat until cabbage is done to suit you. Doesn't take very long.

The greens will taste like you just picked them from the garden. It's adding the fresh cabbage that brings the canned collards back from the taste of being canned. I usually add just a sprinkle of sugar to the greens.

When served, you can add hot pepper vinegar if you like. Leftover greens can be frozen or refrigerated. I often add the leftovers to vegetable soup.

We enjoy greens with grilled pork chops and steamed rice. Pass the cornbread, please.

Enjoy. Jula in Boca Raton

Servings: 8-10
Time:1/2 Hours Preparation Time
60-90 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: A trick my mom taught me about 40 years ago.

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I saw your, fresh tasting canned greens recipe, and it said it could be frozen. My Kroger store has the large cans of Margaret Holmes collard greens on sale. I need to feed a crowd at church in September. If was wondering if I could make the recipe ahead and freeze for one month. Does the cabbage hold up well in the freezer? Thank you.

Evelyn

Answers

For one month, it should be OK. I have frozen different chilis and vegetable stews over the years and they come out OK when reconstituted.

It is raw veg that do not do well when frozen.

My mother used to make stuffed cabbage and freeze it, so the answer is yes