Canning Collard Greens?

Is there a way to can mustard, turnip, and collard greens in a water bath?

By dana from Stevenson, AL

Answers

It is not safe to can greens in a waterbath as the temperature needs to be higher than the boiling temp. Of water. I guess some people have tried it, but i have been canning for 60 years, and know that botulism is a deadly thing, that you don't see, smell, taste, or know is there.

We don't want it in our home canned foods. After thousands of jars of canned foods, including the low acid foods which include greens, none of my family of 7 kids was ever sick. Hope this helps.

Again, from ljf, I meant to include that I always used a pressure canner for greens, green beans and any low acid foods. It costs money to purchase a canner, but if it is well cared for, one will last for many years. Sometimes a gasket, or something needs replacing, but the canner is well worth it. Hope that is some help. Loretta from Theodore, Alabama

Answer this Question

Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesJune 22, 2013
🎂
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Canning-Collard-Greens.html