Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Can I Reattach the Headliner in My Car?

I have a 1995 Volvo 850 wagon. The headliner is coming down. I have an estimate for $400. for repair. I can't afford that. Any ideas on how I get it to stay up?

By Erika

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Barbara [4]11/19/2010

I had the same trouble with my 1991 Chev. S10. Truck. I went on the internet to DIYS searched for Auto Headliners. It told me exactly what I had to do, which was easy. I took the whole headliner down (just follow the screws where headliner is attached, take old material off. Clean form real good. I then bought headliner material and spray at Joann's Fabric or any fabric store usually sells it. It cost me about $60.00 to do it right. If I can do it, anybody can, as I am 72 years old woman.

Ps: It turned out beautiful and still is looking good.

By VBartlett [12]11/19/2010

Reading this gave me a smile! Many years ago, my grand-dog pup, Ollie, a boxer with separation anxiety, chewed the headliner of my new car while waiting for my son! I mean chewed it to pieces!! I took an old quilt, folded it to something resembling the stripped area, and held it in place with several tight tension rods. It worked for the life of the car and was an interesting (and, insulating) conversation piece.

By Grandma J [46]11/18/2010

Been there, done that. That special glue was not so special but expensive. And difficult to use. And it did not last very long. What happens is a batch of bad glue gets on it. The environment the car sits in, part of the country where you can bake inside a closed car to the -40 degree temps in the winter. This had adverse affects on the glue. Best you can, take a mini hot glue gun and try to do some tacking. Nothing is going to be a permanent fix.

By Connie P. [17]11/18/2010

I am having the same problem. I am going to ebay and clicking on motors. I think it might be there that you can enter your auto make, model and what you are looking for and find it. Shouldn't be as expensive if you do it yourself. They also have the glue to attach the headliner with. I think I saw on there that you could choose the color too. Good luck. Connie

By Carol Hottle11/18/2010

Check on YouTube, there are videos, including one which talks about replacing the headliner for $20. I would Google "car headliner" and see what you get. I did and found several possibilities!

By Suntydt [75]11/17/2010

This is kind of an odd solution but it has always been an idea of mine I have just never tried it. First I would suggest the adhesive spray mentioned below. It will work unless the surface that your cloth lining sets up against ... well... it will be kind of crumby. like cookie crumby. Or more like it sheds to the touch. It it does have that kind of surface the adhesive won't stay very long if at all.

The next suggestion would be the tacks mentioned below.
If you really don't like the way that looks here is my far-out idea. I had a car for a very short time with the headliner falling. My plan was to rip it all out and spray paint the entire ceiling of the car. The idea was a dark color paint wouldn't be as noticeable. An idea that just came to me is a velvet paint. I knew a guy that had a '59 corvette and he painted the entire car in a blue velvet paint. That's the only way I know it exists. The velvet paint would give it a "cloth" feel to it when touched. The only downside to painting the interior of the roof is it may not keep heat in the car as long or cold OUT of the car as long. That is my theory. Like I said, never got the chance to try it but it is an idea. You can always have the thing reupholstered when you have the money later on.

By Dave [1]11/17/2010

Check with auto stores, there is an adhesive made specifically for headliners. I think it is made by 3m, the king of adhesive products. What didn't work years ago will likely work well now.

By Peggy [60]11/17/2010

My husband had this happen to one of his cars several years ago. He went to the auto parts store and got some kind of adhevive that was an aerosol can. Worked pretty well for awhile but seems to me he ended up taking it to the place and having somebody redo it for a pretty penny.

By Lisa [2]11/17/2010

A long time ago (back in the 80's?) we had this happen with one of our cars. We got some upholstry tacks and tacked it up in several places. The pin part of the tack was corkscrew shaped, and I think that helped keep them from working back out.