The Humphrey Company Candy Kisses

There's a company in the Cleveland area (The Humphrey Co.) that makes Candy Kisses and this is part of their description of the candy:

"Remember that famous vanilla flavored, old fashioned pulled taffy in the yellow wrap? It is just as good as you think, and it's low fat, too. It will melt in your mouth, but only if you can resist chewing it."

The ingredients on the bag are: sugar, vinegar, butter, cream and vanilla flavoring.

Does anyone have a recipe for something similar to what I've described?

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

I put 'old fashioned taffy' in the search engine and came up with this and several other links:

I am sorry, I googled it in and I found this article. Don't know if it will help you, but there are blogs about the website online if you put in a search of the company. You may be able to speak with someone who knows the secrets! Wish I could have been alive back then to visit. All this talk of popcorn has made me hungry......time to hit the stove!

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I have been dying for the recipe myself for years, even contacted the company, their son now runs the food side. Interestingly enough he said they made more on the food than on the rides that's why they ended up closing. Miss it terribly along with their custard. Here's something I am getting ready to try sounds right maybe with tweeking. They were called kisses though not taffy. Vinegar is the key. I'll past it below let me know if you find or found something better also interested in the popcorn ball mix.

Old-Fashioned Taffy

Categories: Candies

Yield: 20 servings

2 1/2 c Sugar

1/2 c Water

1/4 c Vinegar

1 Tbsp Butter or margarine

1/8 ts Salt

1 tsp Vanilla extract

Recipe by: Southern Living

Preparation Time: 0:30

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in a small Dutch oven; cook over low heat, stirring gently, until sugar

dissolves. Cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan. Uncover and cook over medium heat, without stirring, to soft crack stage (270 degrees). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.

Pour candy onto a buttered 15- x 10- x 1-inch jellyroll pan or slab of marble. Let cool to touch; butter hands, and

pull candy until light in color and difficult to pull. Divide candy in half, and pull into a rope, 1 inch in diameter. Cut into 1-inch pieces; wrap each in wax paper. Yield: about 40 (1-inch) pieces.

Email me if you find better reichert1 AT live.Com and I'll email you, if I can tweek this correctly.

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat CandyApril 15, 2006
Chocolate Pretzel Kisses
Chocolate Pretzel Kisses
A mouse made from two Hershey's Kisses.
Making Hershey's Kiss Mice
architect working on a drawing at table with two others
Name Ideas for Architectural and Interior Design Company