How Many Fat Quarters Do I Use?

I am fairly new to quilting and would like to make a simple quilt for each of my daughters. My question is: how many fat quarters are normally used for a standard (full) sized bed? And how many for a King sized?

Thank everyone for any responses and/or quilt ideas you may have.

Sincerely,
Nelwyn from Bunkie

P.S. This is one of my favorite web sites and I love using it.

A full size bed quilt is usually around 54"x75", and a king is 78"x80". The amount of fabric depends on quilt design and waste you might have if cutting around certain elements in fabric. start first with a simple quilt such as a nine patch made out of 3" squares. 1 yard of 44" fabric will get you 108 squares that are 3.5" (remember seam allowance). A good site for basics is sewing.org A good quilter beginner book is by Mary Ellen Hopkins called "The It's Okay If you Sit on My Quilt Book". Not to expensive and she breaks down patterns and quick tricks for making triangle pieces. I love all her books they all have good advice and she is easy to understand.

If this is your first (or nearly first) quilt, I suggest making a strip-pieced quilt and you will want to buy fabric by the yard - much more economical!

I'm new to quilting too and always browsing the internet for resources to help me.

I use this website to find information like this.

www.unitednotions.com

Then go to Fun Stuff; then Guides and Measurements.

I printed these out on cardstock and use them all the time.

I recently read that it takes about 30 fat quarters for a queen sized quilt and 40 for a king sized quilt; not sure about the double size, but I'd guess 20 or so since the above is increased by 10.

A full sized quilt is about 81 X 88 inches.

A queen sized quilt is about 88 X 96 inches; a king sized quilt is about 107 X 108 inches.

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Crafts QuiltingMarch 15, 2007
braised chicken thighs
Recipes Using Chicken Thighs
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes
🎉
🎄