My Neighbors are Placing Dog Poop In My Yard

I am experiencing the same problems as most of you have discussed regarding dog mess in my yard. The neighbors have no respect for other peoples property and every time we do improvements to our yard or home some type of vandalism occurs. Whether it is smearing dog poop on the patio, deck , tie walls, benches, in the flower beds and on top of one particular plant.

It is quite obvious that it is a human placing the nasty stuff throughout our yard, but it is a matter of catching them red-handed. I have a dog of my own who I clean up after each time it goes. We used to think that there was a really talented dog in the neighborhood to be able to squat and go on top of the tie walls that is 2 1/2 to 3 ft. off the ground (on level ground that is) and to pick the same plant to go on each time.

I can tell it is the neighbors dog mess, it is quite evident because of the size and dog fibers (color of the dogs hair) in the stool. Now they are spreading some type of lure that puts off a scent of dog feces followed by the smell of something dead or decayed. I suppose this is to lure in other strays and other types of wildlife.

I have had it. I know that video is not permissible in court and to take a picture would be impossible. They have a 5 ft fence along the property line between our property leaving a 2 ft. opening to sneak through on one side and then another where high shrubs are. They have made themselves a barrier that protects them from being caught. By the time the neighbors dog sees them and begins to bark giving warning they are already nearing the finish line and on their own property hiding behind several other barriers they have created for themselves to hide around or in.

These are very dirty and ignorant people to say the least. It is the teenage children and their friends, could be the parents too, after all where did the kids learn how to become so stealthy? I tried the suggestions listed here, jars filled with water placed throughout the yard, black pepper mixed with cayenne all around the perimeter, drops of terrible smelling perfumes, chili powder and so on.

This is how I know that it isn't the animal itself entering my yard, but the other heathens bringing it and strategically placing it. Mostly in the same places each time. That is what makes it so obvious, that it is people and not the actual animal leaving the crap behind.

We used to keep our outdoor lights on low and other lights dimmed outside. We recently quit lighting their way thinking they wouldn't be as bold, guess not! I don't think I should have to spend a fortune with motion lights, night vision cameras and other types of deterrents because by the time the lights would come on and we would get out there they would be gone.

We live in a rural neighborhood with not many surrounding houses making their getaway much easier.

Any suggestions?
angel2b

Film them and mail a copy to them. Ask if they would like a copy sent to the local newspaper or one of those funniest home video shows. Call your insurance company with a copy and see if you are covered against vandalism, let them take care of it. Finally show it to the police and ask them what steps you can take. Dog feces carries disease and bacteria. This endangers your health and is criminal.I have other solutions, but they are not legal.

We had a problem with neighbors behind us throwing black walnuts (which are like baseballs!) at the back of our house. Same thing John says, set up a video camera in a window, film them and call the police (non emergency number) to let them know you have a complaint and proof on tape. They will take it from there, our rotten neighbors are moving this week!!!!

I would want to get them in trouble legally but in the mean time...I think you can buy a motion sensor device that you screw into flood lights between the socket and bulb. Check at a place like Home Depot. Maybe you can point it so it would shine on them as soon as they enter the yard. Also, in the areas where they like to place the poop (such as the plant), I would string fishing line in a criss-cross pattern about 6-12 inches off the ground to trip them up. This may just make them angry but may give you the chance to get them on tape. If asked by the police, I'd say I was trying to keep my dog/cat off of the grass since I was having problems getting it to grow in that area. You make me feel so lucky so have fairly 'normal' neighbors. Good luck!

VIDEO TAPE THEM. IT IS ADMISSABLE IN COURT AND CALL THE COUNTY SHERIFF IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE THE CITY LIMITS. THE POLICE WILL GET FED UP COMING OUT EACH TIME AND ADDRESS THE PROBLEM. SHOW THE POLICE YOUR VIDEO AS PROOF OF THE VANDALISM AND PROPERTY DAMAGE. IF NONE OF THAT WORKS - YOU COULD SELL YOUR PROPERTY AND MOVE TO A FRIENDLIER NEIGHBORHOOD.

I feel so sorry for you.....we had rotten neighbors too + it ended up with my 13 yr old daughter in jail over stupid lies they told (this was the parents) they finally moved but I know what your going thru.....it makes a person disgusted and hates to leave their home.........the other readers have given you good ideas but one I haven't read is I have heard of here (i'm in Canada) there is a sensor watering device if something comes into its area the water comes one...at least it would give them a shock ......if it really gets bad like my dh always says there's always barb wire or an electric fence........take care

DEFINITELY call the police or msheriff and ask them for advice-what you can and can not do legally, etc... Can you somehow arrange for a motion sensitive sprinkler that will come on if someone crosses its beam?

Strategically placed roofing tacks some to mind - easily identifying anyone trespassing.

Personally, I like the electric fence idea! I'd want a camera too, just to see it when they got lots of watts!

I am one of the neighbors that one has nightmares about...when we moved into a rural area with three teenage kids, instead of welcoming the new neighbors, the girls at the next farm used to come at night on the weekends, make fun of and yell in the windows at our daughters singing and dancing (in their own rooms) and embarrass them to death. I called the mothers about this and they refused to believe that their precious daughters would do something like that. Well, I took the matter into my own hands and never had a problem after that. I spread some very ripe dog doo on the area that the girls always used to ccome on our property, strung a low wire that they would trip over, and strug some metal lids and pans to make a huge racket when they tripped over the wire into the doggy doo. I don't believe the girls ever had a problem after just one dose.

Some people have absolutely NO class. I would write a letter, get it notorized, and send it registered mail explaining what they are doing is illegal. Check with your local p.d. or s.o. to see if it it criminal trespass, mischief, or whatever. Explain that you WILL be obtaining court admissable proof (or if you are a good bluffer, say you already have it) and that you will be filing charges to the fullest extent of the law.

Another idea is that you can borrow a video camera that will shoot in low/no light if this is happening more at night and mount it in an area they cannot easily see but is at a good angle to see what is going on. If you live in a big city, some places will rent them.

If you are patient enough, you can sit out somewhere with a still (digital or other similar type) camera and get them when they are in the act. 'Say GOTCHA!' comes to mind when you snap the picture.

As a last resort, as your local law enforcement division what they'd suggest.

My goodness, I live in the UK and have never heard of this happening. My sympathy is with you. I'd plant really spikey and thorny plants and glue broken glass to the tops of my fences or walls! So sorry to hear that people do things like this! Have you had advice from the police what tio do? Hope you get it sorted... keep us posted

i like the idea of a motion sensor sprinker system, but first attach a pouch of RIT dye or cayenne pepper, and when they get soakd and stained, just say it'a plant fertilizer (no permanant harm done). i would also consult with a private investigator who can set up survailance and get evidence which is admissable in court. then sue. and send a copy to the local newpaper! nothing like a little public humiliation. obviously they know what they're doing is illegal and they'd be ashamed if caught, otherwise why not just do it in broad daylight? have you considered an outdoor guard dog such as a rottweiler, german shepherd or doberman pinscher? post no tresspassing signs and put NRA stickers on all your windows. you're allowed to protect your family and property, even if it's only with a BB gun. most people in south carolina woulnd't put up with such poop (no punn intended) for more than a day or two before hauling out the big guns. what did you do to tick them off?

Hi Debbie, I agree with your advice, but if I may be so bold, all of my dogs have come from Doberman Rescue. They are all too often stereotyped as being 'outdoor watch dogs' and that is not fair to the breed.

Mine have come to me after being tossed away and abused because they were NOT 'watch dogs' - I'd like to point out that these dogs are first and foremost a part of the family and make much better indoor 'lap' dogs.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I have had the same problems, but went much deeper. The neighbors have actually come into my home and yard and killed my animals. They are crazy. And the police will don NOTHING. I had spoken to them repeatedly about the dog "going" in my yard. They wouldnt control it, so first, I threw it in the carport, thinking that might give them a clue how upset I am. Then I put it on their porch. No luck. After not being able to handle this and many many other things they have done to me, I threw it on their car. That got their attention. Especially after they were stupid enough to roll down the window and get it stuck down in the door. And, it was durring the hot summer. They had to smell it for a long time. Beleive it or not, they to this day didnt know it was me. I sure wasnt hiding it. If you knew my neighbors, you would agree that this was not a bad thing. Please understand, I am NOT a mean or vengeful person. I have just had enough!! Thank you for letting me vent. Laurie

I have no idea what it costs but you may consider purchasing (or if you can borrow one) night vision glasses. You can sit in the dark in your yard, real nice & quiet & by wearing these glasses you can see them in the dark but they can't see you. I would bring a nice big lantern with me & then if you're lucky enough to catch them shine the light on them. BINGO....caught in the act. Make sure you have another person with you so that it's not just your word against theirs. Good Luck.

Have you tried to just ignore them and what they do. As my dad always said, "Silence is Golden"!

Really?

I have a similar problem more agitating than anything my neighbors children keep walking across my beautiful lawn to get to my other neighbors yard after asking the parents SEVERAL times AND having to put a chain link fence around my back yard they persist in now walking across my FRONT YARD!!! Unbelievable these people! what can I do it's driving me crazy! The parents obviously don't teach there kids boundries and I am at my wits end ANY suggestions as for the people who are having problems with there neighbors animals I WOULD let the neighbor know that if I see the animal on my property again I'll have no choice but to Kill it. may sound harsh But I bet you won't have any more problems.

Kill an innocent animal? Good grief. Aren't there leash laws?

It's a shame when a neighbor ties their dog up on your own property. I had a neighbor like that, too. I really felt sorry for the dog because it had such ignorant owners. Then the lady had the nerve to ask me to replace HER grass, which was actually the easement. I wanted to replace it with gravel, but I just spray painted it green instead. I am glad they finally moved.

I am wondering if the neighbor I used to have moved next door to you. It's a shame!

Place up no trespassing signs. If you have a Harbor Freight, they carry security cameras, that hook to a VCR with night vision on them. Turn on all of your outside lights put in a 8 hour tape and them start recording 24 hours a day. You will eventually catch them and can have them sited for trespassing. As long as you have signs up first. Take pictures of the signs or video. I have been dealing with this for a while with my neighbors. If you hit them in their pocketbook it seems to make them stop.

Rat traps not big enough to kill, but small enough to hurt. Move them around every day so they wont know where they are at.

We purchased almost $2,000 camera set w/ night vision from Costco and are in the process of filing a restraining order from the neighbor who vandalizes our home w/ dog feces and stalks us.

Take care of it now before it gets worse. It won't stop till you take legal action.

You have to be careful about the law here - They sound as if they are harassing you - which should not be legal - I would check with local ordinances - and look up trespassing and harassment on the www.nolopress.com site - I always find them very helpful. You don't want to be in a position of doing something illegal YOURSELF. It's better to deal with spiteful neighbors through the authorities, and try to keep yourself out of it!

You do realize you can take photographic evidence, or a video, print them up or burn the video on a dvd, and email the evidence to the dog owner's landlord. Most Landlords will not tolerate such behavior and typically wants to remain on the good side of neighbors and home owner associations.

The Landlord's address is usually easily found via your local property appraiser/tax collector website.

Why don't you get a privacy fence put up, if you don already have one. It might be dangerous to your safety to sit out, like some other people said, and wait for them to come. It would be dark and you wouldn't know what they had on them .And if they are ignorant enough to this kindof stuff then the would probably be ignorant enough to hurt you, your family, or you family pets to save themselves from being caught. I think your best bet would be to go to your local police department and talk to them about what you can do, since they wont help you. I have never had this happen; but I'm sure it is disgusting and very outraging.

ordinance in name only. The pooper scooper law in not enforced and the police must be physically present in order to give a citation. County officials referred me to the police. They don't care, only want the bragging rights. Police won't come out unless they can get there while the pooper is taking place! So, a worthless ordinance!!! Help!

Simply look for you city and county ordinance regarding the anti -litter law. I have a neighbor who refuse to comply. I've notiifed the manager and wrote to the owner.

Finally, I've aclled 911 and ploice office arrives within minutes. They notified the owner and stated that h=they'll be fined $500. I've placed a quickcam and I can record ans see in real time in the internet.

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation

Simply look for you city and county ordinance regarding the anti-litter law. I have a neighbor who refuse to comply. I've notified the manager and wrote to the owner.

Finally, I've called 911 and police office arrives within minutes. They notified the owner and stated that they'll be fined $500. I've placed a quickcam and I can record and see in real time in the internet.

20-22 gauge shot gun filled with rock salt. Shooting at a "varmint" on your on property usually acceptable in rural communities; non-lethal but my lord does it sting!

Pets AdviceSeptember 16, 2005
Giving Christmas Gifts to Neighbors
Giving Christmas Gifts to Neighbors
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎄