Finishing Raw Carpet Edges - Categories:

CarpetHome Improvement

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

I just got some free carpet and it is really pretty. I wanted to make area rugs out of it. Any ideas on how to finish the edges easily? Sewing is very difficult for my hands and I don't have a sewing machine that can do carpet.

By Roby from Norman, OK

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How about looking in the hardware dept, for different colors of duct tape? I know it sounds weird, but it the tape matches or coordinates with the carpet, and is wide enough, you can apply it similar to wide blanket binding. Start from the back side, applying the tape, where the carpet edge meets the center line of the tape, that way you can fold the tape onto the top side. Work in small sections at a time, so the tape will lay flat. You can even cut shorter pieces of the tape to work with, since it isn't cloth or fabric, it won't fray. Hope you can find something that works for you, sounds like a great deal that you got!

In some areas, you can take your carpet piece and get them bound by a rug store; take a look in your local online yellow pages or paper yellow pages. Also, once not too long ago, either in Home Depot or Lowes, I saw that they had a stick on edging that looked line the edge stitch that you would get if you stitched a rug. It looked like it wrapped around the edge of the remnant. Good luck.

Remnant Carpet Store, 29th east of Penn, does edges for $1 a foot.

Hope that helps.

I am thinking using iron on binding you can get at a fabric store should work. If the carpet is acrylic you'll want to be careful to only allow the hot iron to touch the binding as you firmly iron/press it on the top edges of the carpet side and then flip the carpet to iron/press the other edge of the binding around to the jute underside the same way.

I got binding at a thrift store and hot glued it to my carpet. It looked great.

I was thinking of getting the binding tape to hot glue as well, but just got to tapped out after my new carpet was laid and my daughters college graduation. I got a wild idea that worked so brilliantly I had to share it. Cut the extra carpet the size you want it. Lay the carpet back side up and take a hot glue gun and run a half inch bead of hot glue all along the edges careful not to spill over just along the carpet backing is all you need. Add some extra hot glue like a triangle to the corners this keeps the carpet from sliding around. I love this idea and saved so much money.. It is brilliant I say try it. Hot glue sticks are cheap I did a full runner and two others for the kitchen for under 5 bucks in sticks.

done this before... using hot glue gun...CLEAR sticks...start under and bring just a little up around the edges to keep it from fraying. DONT glob it on and it wont be unsightly. cheap and easy fix and it will stand up to water. I did this in my patio which is screens only. the rug is wet ALOT due to sprinkler system and we have no problems.

August 18, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to finish off the edges of cut pieces of carpet? I purchased some carpet ends of industrial type carpet (not very plush, but will stand up to heavy use). I've cut this up into pieces that will fit into my boat, but the edges are raw and unfinished. Also, every time I vacuum them, a little more of the edges fall off/unravel.

I've thought about sewing something around the edges, but I'm not sure if my sewing machine will handle the thickness, and the only thing I can find to sew around it is white, and my carpet is blue. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks for your help.

Georgie from NH

Answers:

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

The edges need to be bound. Any commercial carpet place can do it for you. It is not that expensive. About $1.25 a foot. Good luck! (06/22/2007)

By Monica

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

A standard sewing machine will "not" handle this. You could pay to get it bound, or hot glue a binding around. Another alternative is duct tape, that is what we used to do in college with carpet remnants for the dorm. (06/22/2007)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

There's a product called Thread Stop ( I believe). It comes in a tube and will stop the raveling. I like the idea of duct tape, too. It will be more sturdy. Good luck. (06/22/2007)

By Susan

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

How about double-sided carpet tape to hold the edges down. Stick it on the back of the carpet and then you wouldn't need to bind the edges. (06/22/2007)

By Jantoo

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

The product mentioned before is Fray Check, but I would suggest hot gluing a strip of binding around the edges of the carpeting. Makes for a more finished looking edge. (06/22/2007)

By duckie43

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

When we bought our remnant, the lady suggested I just use Elmer's Glue around the edges after I clipped stray ends. This seemed to work just fine for us, occasionally we'd have a loose thread, but not many.

When we were applying the glue to the edges, we tucked the carpet edge back and held it down with filled food cans such as soup, veggies, etc. until it dried.

Good luck! (06/23/2007)

By Melody

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

I would say glue, hot glue or a marine glue. Just place a bead along the edge where it is fraying. The stuff mentioned above is for fabric, the Fray Check and Stop Thread, I don't think it will hold up if it gets wet. Look for anything that will hold those threads in place and hold up after being wet. Whatever you use, use it on the back side. And if you use a hot glue gun use a stick or something flat to press the bead into the carpet. Happy boating! (06/24/2007)

By Mary Ann

Finishing Raw Carpet Edges

Monica mentioned binding and here is what you need and how to do it. Carpet places that do it are well worth finding because it's a pain without the right stuff.

You need:

• latex or glue
  • a long strip of cloth about 1.5 to 2 inches wide (you need to have enough to go around the carpet) (it looks better if color coordinated to the carpet)
  • a stapler (if you can get it one that is like a large pair of scissors. That's the best way I can describe it, or use a staple gun in conjunction with a metal plate)

Set your carpet down pile up. Place the cloth along the edge on top of the pile so the edge of the pile and the edge of the cloth are together. Staple along the edge. If you are using the staple gun/plate idea you would put your metal plate under the carpet and staple down the edge. Move the plate and staple, move the plate and staple.

Once you have the cloth stapled onto the carpet fold the cloth around the edge over the staples. Flip the carpet over so the back is facing up with the cloth kind of fanning out along the edge. Put a bead of latex or glue along the edge just a little bit till you get the hang of what you're doing, then you can advance to maybe doing a foot at a time.

Anyway, put down a small bead along the edge (roughly over the back side of the staples) and fold the cloth down over the back of the carpet on top of the glue and staples. Put down another bead and fold again. When you get to a corner you will have to cut the cloth (recommend diagonally) so the cloth doesn't ripple. Cut it just shy the corner of the carpet so you have some overlay/closed corner. Do each side of the carpet and let dry completely. (11/13/2009)

By Suntydt

Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetAugust 18, 2010
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Cultured Marble
Finishing the Edge of a Cultured Marble Countertop
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Raw Egg
Cleaning Raw Egg Off Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 12:06:57 AM on 10.0.2.99 in 850 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.