Preserving Old Wooden Spools

I have several wooden spools that belonged to my grandmother. I was wanting to keep them in a jar with some of her old buttons. Do you know if it is better for anitquity to keep the thread on them or off? I know that I am to leave the labels on.

Carol from Fairview, TN

I think it's best to keep the thread on. I don't see how it could hurt the spools unless they get wet. It increases their value also. Besides, they must look nicer in the jar. I have sold many with silk thread on them on ebay. You would be suprised at how much people will pay for them.

I think it's best to leave the thread on especially if it's silk thread. It can only damage the spools if they get wet. It will look nicer in the jar also. I have sold many of these on ebay, you would be suprised how much people will pay!

I'm not a collector or anything, but I'd say that if someone was wanting to buy your spools (if you ever wanted to sell), they'd want to see what was on the spools. Plus they'd be more attractive with their colored threads on them. If the buyer didn't want the thread on them, they could take it off, themselves.

Keep in the original condition and that means leaving the thread on, even if it's hanging by a thread.

Baaad pun.

wooden thread spools
Craft Ideas for Thread Spools
Organizing CollectiblesNovember 28, 2005
Register Tape
Uses for Register Tape Spools
finished pin cushion with pins
Making a Thread Spool Pin Cushion
CD Spool
Reusing CD Spools
finished spool and pipe cleaner reindeer
Making a Spool Reindeer
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 10:41:59 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.