Reusing CD Spools

Category Reusing
CD Spool
Stacks of CDs are packaged on plastic spools or spindles which can be reused if you think creatively. This is a guide about reusing CD spools.

Maybe CDs are a bit "old hat" now, but many of us still use them and I am sure most of us would find an old CD container stashed away somewhere in the nether regions of a store cupboard.

Did you know they are just the right size for a bagel or a stack of bagels if you have a big tall one? Brilliant for keeping your lunchtime bagel air tight and un-squashable until it is time to eat.

Take it to work with you and you can guarantee that your colleagues will either say "whoa! what a brilliant idea" or they will look at you as if you are completely barking mad. Either way I think this is an eccentrically brilliant idea. Have a go!

My husband took the empty domed package that originally had 30 cds in it and recycled it into a bagel sandwich holder. The hole in the bagel lines up perfectly with the post in the case. It kept his bagel/tuna salad sandwich perfect for lunch.

CD Spindle Toilet Paper Holder

CD Spindle Toilet Paper Holder

Many people have taken to keeping files on CDs so that they are portable or so that they have a permanent record of pictures or word files. But you always end up with a lot of spindles that came from the CDs. In my house unless I keep track of it myself the lid to the spindle always gets lost. So I have a lot of these spindles left. It is a real pain to keep my burned CDs on them because them I have to pick them up and thumb through them to find what I want, It is just easier to put my CDs in a book so I can organize them.

So I am sitting here at my desk looking at one, and wondering what I could do with it. I use one for my crochet thread as a holder one that I managed to keep the lid to but I have 3 with out lids. I realized that they are large enough in diameter to hold a roll of TP. So here is my version of a cost free recycled TP holder for your bathroom. This is a great recycling craft that is easy enough for kids to do with parent supervision. This is an earth friendly craft as we need to recycle, reuse as much as we can to keep plastic out of the land fills. This craft would be great as a Mother's day gift or could be used in an RV or motor home also. This would also make a great base for the toilet paper when you crochet a cover to keep an extra roll in the bathroom. It would keep the bottom of the toilet paper dry and clean.

Time to complete: 1 hour with dry time

Materials

Instructions

Wash your spindle well before starting because these are great dust collectors when the sit around for a while. Spray paint spindle the color of your choice. When dry, spray with the clear coat. Decorate with gems or silk flowers.

In the picture, I hot glued a piece of left over ribbon around the base and used a few silk flowers but you could use just about anything to decorate with. For a seashore themed bathroom, you could glue on small seashells. For a guys bathroom, you could glue on beer bottle caps or nuts and bolts or fishing lures. For a sparkle effect, you could use silicone and glue on flat marbles.

Hope you have fun with this craft!

Use the empty plastic spools from your blank recordable CD stacks to serve as an upright paper towel holder or a holder for extra toilet paper. Turn over the plastic top and use to to hold pens, markers, pencils and so on. There! You have recycled something totally.

By Pamphyila