LaundryCleaning

Hard Water Leaving Laundry Dingy and Gray

Our laundry is suffering as a result of hard water. The whites are gray, and the colors are dingy/faded. The hard water softeners are really expensive. Any thrifty advice?

By Alison

Hi. I am a little crazy when it come to cleaning and pretty much I'm crazy about everything. Its OCD. How I do laundry, get the dishwasher soap liquid or powder even drop ins. Put it in your washer first let it dissolve by agitating washer a minute. Use soap powder and then I use small scoop of oxi-clean and mule borax. Wash that with your clothes. If washing with bleach let your clothes wash first then use your bleach. You always let soap powder do its job first then add bleach. This keeps all our clothes clean, sparkling, and look new.

Good Luck

I have the same problem! When I get enough whites together I do a wash with Iron Out. Its the best stuff I have found to use with hard water. It's usually in the plumbing section in your department stores.

You could try Calgon water softener additive. I have used that successfully in the past, and it does help with some types of water softeners. It is worth a try.