Handmade High School Graduation Gift Ideas for Granddaughter

My first grandchild graduates high school this year. She is going on to school. I am going to give her some money for her senior trip, but I want to design or make her something really special that she can keep as a keepsake. Anybody have any good ideas?

By Sheila

A lot will depend on your abilities. You could make a acrapbook of pictures from the time she was born or else one that just has pictures of her receiving her diploma and also taken at the party. Another easy thing to make would be a blanket made out of two pieces of polar fleece, where you cut fringes all the way around and tie the two layers together. You could use fabric in her current school colors or the colors of the college she will be attending. You can even get the fabric with logos of some of the bigger name pro sports teams on it, if she has a favorite team you could use one layer of that.

An ID bracelet engraved with a statement from you is something that is personal and will always be cherished.

Can you do fabric painting, crocheting/knitting, embroidery or quilting? An afghan is always nice to receive.

What about a decorated picture frame with charms reflecting things she's done in her life or memories of those things the two of you did together. Put her photo in it or both of you together.

I made my mom a hardback photo book from picaboo.com and it was beautiful. Scanned and started it with me and my husbands baby pix and continued to each childs birth and growing up and lots pix of my kids with nana. Alot of times there are 50% off coupons online if you google. I bought a groupon for $100 certificate for $35. Completely customizeable.

When each of my children graduated from High School I gave them money of course but I also found a shadow box where you could put your tassel, and other high school memorabilia. I think I found them at Terry's village.

(www.terrysvillage.com)

They loved them and now display them in their own home.

It is a wonderful gift and most can be personalized with their name.

Hope this helped.

Gem

I made my daughter a cork board and you could include l/2 of it as a message board. Put fabric around the edges or just frame it. Hers was 24x24 and I used a fabric border in school colors and stickpins &the dry eraser board she is 37 and still has hers she stuck all her memories there.

I'm over 50, but the two best graduation gifts I recieved are the ones I still have and use: a binder of original family recipes from my aunt, and a crochet blanket from another aunt. I keep both women close to me in memory when I dook a dish or cuddle in my 'blankie' that is still on the couch.

I love the idea of the recipe book with family recipes and the idea of the photo album but also maybe, with one or the other, you could give her the genealogy of her family. So much is lost that we wish we had listened to, wrote down and kept. Maybe some stories also about things that happened in the family--a history. I got this and it is a prized possession.