Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes

Whether you have a tile shower, counter or floor you can quickly and easily clean your tile and grout by making your own cleaner. This guide contains homemade tile and grout cleaner recipes.

November 18, 2009 Flag

I have used several cleaners to clean my walls in the office, which still had wallpaper paste drips staining the painted surface below the paper border. It's easy to spot the drips when the light hits the walls surface. Regular cleaners that run down the surface make a mess. And since the cleaner hasn't had time to do its job, I've got to use a lot more elbow grease to get it clean.

The secret I have discovered for upright surfaces. Cleaning is easier with a foaming tub and tile cleaner like Dow Foaming Bubbles. It adheres to the surface giving the cleaner time to break down the grease or dirt. I also use it to clean under the hood of the stove, refrigerator walls, oven door, ice chest, etc. try it and you'll do a lot less scrubbing.

Source: I discoved one day when using Scrubbing Bubbles to clean in other areas of the house

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used Scrubbing Bubbles to clean the nicotine off the walls in my house when I bought it. Another trick to washing walls is to start from the bottom and work your way up. That way when water runs down the wall it won't leave a visible track later.

September 11, 2004 Flag

To clean icky grout, pour hydrogen peroxide on grout, and watch it bubble. After about ten minutes all the gunk will be loosened and will wipe away. And you don't have to be exposed to fumes or irritating and highly toxic chemicals. You can also use vinegar and baking soda, but this is easier.

By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried this - with a brand new bottle - and it did absolutely nothing at all! I left it on for a quite a while also.

Editor's Note: Some grout is sealed so it's possible that the peroxide could not actually get to the grout.

September 11, 2004 Flag

Here are two cleaners that you can make yourself and use to clean your tiles and grout.

Caution: Make sure to clean the spray bottle you use for these solutions thoroughly before mixing these recipes. And try to create as much ventilation when using bleach as possible.

Tile Cleaner

Directions:

Add equal parts of chlorine bleach and water to your spray bottle. Using rubber gloves, spray this solution on your tiles and wipe it off with a sponge. If there is a lot of built up you may need to let the solution sit for about 10 minutes before wiping it off.

Tile Grout Cleaner

Directions:

Mix the the chlorine bleach and water in the spray bottle. Then spray it on the grout and wipe off with a sponge. If the grout is especially dirty you may need to spray liberally and let it sit for about 10 minutes and you may even need to break out an old tooth brush if it still doesn't come off easily.

Tip: If you clean your tiles regularly with the Tile Cleaner solution you won't have to use the Tile Grout Cleaner solution very often.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bleach and acid products like vinegar are damaging to tile and can break down grout.

November 12, 2011 Flag

What should I be using to clean the ceramic tile in my shower? I have tried store bought cleaners, but they leave a white film. I know that certain cleaners are not good for the grout between the tiles.

Thank you!

By Dee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have tile in one of my bathroom showers and I use a homemade organic cleaner. I purchased a spray bottle from the dollar store, when you are ready to clean the shower, pour about a 1/4 cup of vinegar, and a 1/3 cup of Borox into the bottle, then fill the bottle with HOT water. Shake up, spray on titles, clean then rinse. It won't harm the grout, you or the environment.

I've always used The Works, but last time I cleaned the walls, I used Barkeepers Friend and it worked great! Left no residue after being rinsed off.

Borax is natural and organic, perhaps, but not harmless. Read the directions and warnings on the box before you choose to use it. I use it for laundry, but you must be aware that it is not a food substance like vinegar.

There is very little that will harm tile - that is the beauty of it. I wipe down the walls after every shower (or after the last person showers in the morning), and I seldom need to clean. That white film sounds like it is a hard water film, in which case, straight vinegar will remove it.

Two years ago we installed a fiber glass tub/shower combo with 12x12 tiles surrounding the tub. A small amount of mold is beginning to form where the tub meets the tile grout. Can I use a small amount of bleach on the tile grout to get rid of the mold? Will the bleach hurt the tube in any manner?

Michael

Using bleach will actually (surprisingly) worsen your mold problem. You should use something like lysol or any other kitchen cleaner that doesn't include bleach. Try leaving your shower curtain open to increase ventilation, hence decreasing your mold problem.

This will kill and remove the mould dissolve half a cup of borax in 2 cups warm water of water and add half a cup of white vinegar,Put into a spray bottle,leave it soak for a few minutes use a stiff brush and wipe clean.If the mould is old this will need to be repeated.

I use a clorx bleach pen on grout. As long as the grout isn't one of the special "colored" ones, it's fine. However, do you really have grout meeting the edge of the tub? There should be calking around around the tub, not grout. Calk is more resistant to mold/mildue and all around a better choice for a transition between the tub and tile.

I don't understand how straight or diluted bleach can worsen mold in the bathroom. I would never think of using anything but bleach in my bathroom, the #1 area for the growth of staph.

That's correct. And if the caulking is peeling off you need it removed and re-caulked.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesDecember 1, 2011
A handyman replacing floor grout.
Floor Grout Keeps Cracking
installing tile
Removing Grout From Tiles
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 7:11:33 PM on 10.0.0.52 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.