Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes

Whether you have a tile shower, counter or floor you can quickly and easily clean your tile and grout by making your own cleaner. This guide contains homemade tile and grout cleaner recipes.

Cleaning Dirty Tile
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have used several cleaners to clean my walls in the office, which still had wallpaper paste drips staining the painted surface below the paper border. It's easy to spot the drips when the light hits the walls surface. Regular cleaners that run down the surface make a mess. And since the cleaner hasn't had time to do its job, I've got to use a lot more elbow grease to get it clean.

The secret I have discovered for upright surfaces. Cleaning is easier with a foaming tub and tile cleaner like Dow Foaming Bubbles. It adheres to the surface giving the cleaner time to break down the grease or dirt. I also use it to clean under the hood of the stove, refrigerator walls, oven door, ice chest, etc. try it and you'll do a lot less scrubbing.

Source: I discoved one day when using Scrubbing Bubbles to clean in other areas of the house

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To clean icky grout, pour hydrogen peroxide on grout, and watch it bubble. After about ten minutes all the gunk will be loosened and will wipe away. And you don't have to be exposed to fumes or irritating and highly toxic chemicals. You can also use vinegar and baking soda, but this is easier.

By Linda

What should I be using to clean the ceramic tile in my shower? I have tried store bought cleaners, but they leave a white film. I know that certain cleaners are not good for the grout between the tiles.

Thank you!

By Dee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Borax is natural and organic, perhaps, but not harmless. Read the directions and warnings on the box before you choose to use it. I use it for laundry, but you must be aware that it is not a food substance like vinegar.

There is very little that will harm tile - that is the beauty of it. I wipe down the walls after every shower (or after the last person showers in the morning), and I seldom need to clean. That white film sounds like it is a hard water film, in which case, straight vinegar will remove it.

Read More Answers...

Here are two cleaners that you can make yourself and use to clean your tiles and grout.

Caution: Make sure to clean the spray bottle you use for these solutions thoroughly before mixing these recipes. And try to create as much ventilation when using bleach as possible.

Tile Cleaner

• 1 part chlorine bleach
  • 1 part water
  • 1 quart spray bottle
  • rubber gloves

Directions:

Add equal parts of chlorine bleach and water to your spray bottle. Using rubber gloves, spray this solution on your tiles and wipe it off with a sponge. If there is a lot of built up you may need to let the solution sit for about 10 minutes before wiping it off.

Tile Grout Cleaner

• 3/4 cup chlorine bleach
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 quart spray bottle
  • rubber gloves
  • tooth brush

Directions:

Mix the the chlorine bleach and water in the spray bottle. Then spray it on the grout and wipe off with a sponge. If the grout is especially dirty you may need to spray liberally and let it sit for about 10 minutes and you may even need to break out an old tooth brush if it still doesn't come off easily.

Tip: If you clean your tiles regularly with the Tile Cleaner solution you won't have to use the Tile Grout Cleaner solution very often.

Two years ago we installed a fiber glass tub/shower combo with 12x12 tiles surrounding the tub. A small amount of mold is beginning to form where the tub meets the tile grout. Can I use a small amount of bleach on the tile grout to get rid of the mold? Will the bleach hurt the tube in any manner?

Michael

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That's correct. And if the caulking is peeling off you need it removed and re-caulked.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesDecember 1, 2011
A handyman replacing floor grout.
Floor Grout Keeps Cracking
installing tile
Removing Grout From Tiles
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 21, 2016 at 6:04:06 PM on 10.0.2.248 in 735 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.