Crockpot Pumpkin Butter

This is my own recipe. I didn't want to make one using refined sugar and this came out so yummy and creamy. If you are making this for diabetics, replace the maple syrup with more agave nectar.

• 8 cups pumpkin puree (I used fresh)
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup amber agave nectar
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place all ingredients except for vanilla in a crock-pot. Stir well. Cook on high for about 4-5 hours then on low for another 1-2 hours. You will end up with about 5 1/2 cups of butter after much of the liquid is absorbed. Make sure you mix every few hours and leave the lid off just a bit for the last few hours of cooking so more of the liquid can evaporate.

Refrigerate overnight then add vanilla (just make sure butter is cool before adding the vanilla). Blend with a hand blender to make it smoother. Place in canning jars and freeze. This is good for one year in the freezer, and about 3 weeks in the fridge.

Source: recipe from my blog:

By freya1970 from Halifax, NS

Hi, Nova Scotia! I just finished making several batches of slow cooker apple butter which turned out great, and this sounds every bit as tasty. I live in Idaho and have never heard of amber agave nectar. Could you tell me where I could find what sounds like a specialty item or do you know of a commonly used substitute that I could add rather than the nectar? Thanks for the recipe and any information you can provide. :o)

Hi BrendaSue,

Perhaps you could give us your recipe for slow cooker apple butter? That sounds as delish as Pumpkin Butter! I know how my crockpot will get used this winter when not in use for stews and chili. *big grin*

Here is some info on agave nectar:

Very awesome product. If you are worried about glucose consumption use this as it has a low gycemic index.

Happy butter making :)

Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkin Recipes
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies