Hamster Cage Smells Bad

My son has a female hamster. Her cage smells so bad eventhough I clean it frequently. It smells after the first 24 hours. Any ideas?

Linda from Richmond, VA

Sounds like the hamster has some health problems... check to see the water's ok and the food's fresh, but I'd suggest you take it to the vet.

Ours did too, I sprinkled baking soda on the bottom of the cage before putting the chips back in and it seemed to keep the smell down quite a bit. It will not harm your hampster.

its the same with mine we've even tried lavender smelling sawdust but it doesn't seem to work. if she(your hamster) uses a certain corner as her litter tray why not buy a litter tray and put it there. it doesn't work for me but it might work for you.

your hamster might have wet tail .look at its bottom.""""""""

I use a lavender scented wood shavings from pets at home. Not only helps control any odour but makes your room smell quite nice too.

My hamster did that too, but I clean the cage every day and that's why it doesn't smell bad.

Your hamster is somehow ill. My guess is wet tail, but you can't be sure. Wet tail is a form of diarrhea that coats the hamster's bottom and creates blockage and attracting infection. You might want to have her looked at by a vet, but if it's too late, there's nothing that anyone can do.

Our hamster cage has started to smell worse than usual. She seems ok though and is eating and drinking.

It's a female hamster and they smell bad! Their nearly constant heat cycle makes them stink. I rekon it's so the male can find her(in the wild). The smell gets on your hands and everything. Next time, buy a male. They are sweeter and don't stink. I have had tons of hamsters and the female always stunk it up!

I used to have hamsters and learned a very easy trick to keep the cage smelling better.

Get a glass baby food jar and put it in the cage on its side---most hamsters will urinate in the jar and you can rinse it out or get a bunch of them and just throw them away, it worked like magic for several hamsters I have had.

Close up of hamster in cage
Cleaning a Hamster Cage
Pets HamstersMay 3, 2006
looking down into potato cage with new growth
Building a Potato Cage
Hamster Eating Brocoli in Cage
Setting Up a Hamster Cage
Photo of a cute hamster.
Homemade Hamster Toys
Litter Training a Hamster
Litter Training a Hamster
🎄