DishesCleaning

Use Dishwasher Detergent For Baked On Food

I find the best way to remove any baked on or burned residue in pans or casseroles, or burner rings is to sprinkle on some dry dishwasher detergent, cover with hot tap water and allow to sit overnight. In the AM, the stuff will come off with a wipe of the sponge. I don't find that any other method that works without scrubbing.

By twodogsmom from Vista CA

If you don't have a dishwasher and don't want to buy detergent just for this, you can use baking soda. After it sits, burnt on food wipes right out.

You can also use fabric softener. Put some in bottom of pan, add hot water, and soak overnight.

Sorry to the poster above, but buying a box of dishwasher detergent (just one box every 6 months or so) is not a waste of money. I don't have a dishwasher and I just emptied my box of Cascade that I bought for precisely cleaning my oven racks. Cascade is the brand that seems to work best. I let them soak in the bath tub for about 3 hours and they came out spotless. Hardly any scrubbing whatsoever. I got this tip from my brother who used to own a cleaning business.

Dear People: I find the that the very best way to get rid of "burnt on food" in pans is to fill the pan three fourths full of water mixed with dish detergent with your dish detergent like Palmolive, Ajax, (whatever) and boil/simmer it while you wash your dishes. I guarantee you that after you've done this, the most vile baked on 'stuff" will come right off with the use of a nylon green scrubbie. It's simply unbelievable. Works every time. I also do this with my "casseroles", but put "them" into the microwave to "simmer" with the same mixture. Works every time. No more stress! Cheers! Annaconi

Green Alternative:

Sprinkle baking soda and salt.

Add white vinegar until all is fizzing.

Add boiling water to cover.

This loosens baked on grime from a baking dish/pan...any pot or pan...also the bathtub or a dirty floor. It does so in 30 minutes or less too!

Depending on the amount of dirt, there is very little scrubbing needed if at all.

Hope this helps!

Fill bake pan to be cleaned with warm water, then put a fabric softener sheet or some liquid fabric softener in the water making sure that the water is high enough in the pan to cover the baked on food. Leave over night. Don't worry about bugs because they do not like fabric softener. The next day wash the pan as usual and you will not have to scrub it.

I have two other ways you might try, in fact, I plan on trying yours. My original action would be to soak in vinegar and salt overnight and it scrubs off the next day. A friend who used to be a chef said they use dishsoap and water and boil it on the stove. Both have worked for me. Good Luck

Tired of scrubbing roasting pans or burnt food in your favorite saucepan? Fill with boiling water, drop a dishwasher tablet in, and leave overnight. The pan will be spotless in the morning and no elbow grease involved.

By berksgal from Hampton, VA