Browsing: Painting Tips and Tricks

Making Sharp, Straight Lines in Corners When Painting

We are trying to paint an accent wall in our living room. We are having trouble with the corners. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Donna from Assonet, MA

Answers

Use the blue tape and make sure it is firmly in place and in a straight line. Then paint as if it is not there, so you get the hang of painting straight lines. Use a good shop light to see the corners.

October 30, 2008 Flag

My room will have a deep red feature wall with lighter walls on either side. How do I ensure a sharp straight line in the corners?

Shannon from Beverley Hills

Answers:

To put on a crisp band of color without any bleed, first lay down a line of blue painter's tape, then run a small bead of latex caulk over the edge where the two colors will meet.

Wipe down the caulk until you have a very thin layer on the wall. Then peel off the tape, and paint up to the line of caulk. The thin bead will seal off the dry surface better than any tape. A few hours later, peel off the caulk. (01/08/2008)

By Darlene

There is this tape at wal-mart. It's usually blue and it looks like masking tape, but it's for the walls. You just tape it where you don't want to paint then when the paint dries, peel the tape off and there is a straight line. You can find it in the paint/hardware area of the store. (01/08/2008)

By trn

You can buy 'low tack' masking tape. You can also buy an edging paint applicator which gives a nice straight edge (the ones I've seen are flat and don't look anything like a paint brush!).

I normally use the blue low-tack tape and remove it quickly (but carefully) so it doesn't remove paint from the other walls. Check out your nearest hardware store. (01/08/2008)

By jojo

I used that blue tape between my ceiling, newly painted and the wall, to be newly painted. I left the ceiling dry for probably 10 days before painting the walls. The tape peeled the paint from the ceiling. I removed it before the recommended time. I was and am so mad about this! (01/14/2008)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes