Cleaning a Pop Top Thermos

I have a pop top thermos that doesn't come apart, but I need to clean it. I use it everyday and I need to figure out how to clean this. I don't want to buy a new thermos. Can you help me? Thank you.

By Yvonne

Use a bottle brush & soapy water and a bit of bleach.

You can also add alittle salt & chopped ice & shake, let sit and shake again comes out crystal clean! Also works good for your glass coffee pot.

I purchased a baby bottle brush and have found it to be very useful.

Add some uncooked rice & a little water & shake that should break up any sort of residue that formed. The chipped ice works really well on coffee pots.

Maybe a denture cleaning tablet and warm water placed inside the thermos could clean the inside.

Those denture tablets are not expensive at the dollar-type stores. They can be used to clean a number of items; such a a vase, even to cleaning the toilet bowl. (I learned about these denture tablets right here on Thrifty Fun!)

Here are a couple of ways to clean your thermos

Baking soda and vinegar. Put about 1 of vinegar into the bottom of the Thermos (cider vinegar works best as its the most acidic) and add 1 tablespoon baking soda for every 2 cups that the Thermos holds. Quickly fill the Thermos with boiling water. Itll foam a little but not as much as the denture tablets or dishwashing powder; the rest of the directions are the same as above  dont cap, let sit, scrub and rinse.

This is a great fall-back method, as almost everyone has the supplies on hand. It takes more scrubbing than the methods above, but its significantly better than just dishwashing soap.

Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. If you dont have vinegar, you can use hydrogen peroxide in its place; same instructions. Do not use lemon juice as a substitute for vinegar in a stainless Thermos, Ive read that it can damage the welds (but I dont know from personal experience).

Cleaning a Thermos
Cleaning a Thermos
Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 11, 2010
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Stainless Steel Thermos against white background
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Thermos
🎉
🎄