Taking Apart Computer Equipment

Could someone tell me if there are any hazards to dissecting LCD monitors or flat panel TVs? Also, is there anything hazardous about taking apart computer towers? Any chemicals I should be aware of ( for example, I know not to chew on capacitors)? How should I dispose of defective or dead capacitors, resistors or other thingamabobs in a safe manner? Thank you!

Jane from Baltimore, MD

Yes, there are small amounts of hazardous materials in the LCD and computer components. Lead and Mercury are probably the biggest concern. The amounts are so small that taking one apart every now and then is not a problem. The big problem with so-called "e-waste" is how much of it is piling up in landfills across the country (the cummulative effect of millions of LCDs / computer components).

The "proper" disposal method is recycling.

ComputersJanuary 8, 2009
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Organized Dumbells
Organizing Fitness Equipment
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread Recipes