Sewing Patterns Swap Groups

Is anyone aware of any groups for trading, exchanging, or loaning sewing patterns? I've just returned to sewing after a 20 year hiatus and I can't believe how expensive patterns are now!

By mormor from Des Moines, IA

They are terribly expensive now, but I keep an eye out for the company pattern sales at Joann's. Two dollars a pattern, limit 5/6 for Simplicity and then the next week it was Butterick. I'll take that.

I see that Des Moines has a Hobby Lobby store. They always run their ad in the Sunday newspaper. I noticed today that this week all of their McCalls patterns are 99 cents each. In a few weeks they will do the same with their Simplicity patterns. Just plan ahead and buy your patterns when they are on sale. Just remember that Hobby Lobby is not open on Sunday. Happy Sewing!

As I read this "wanted" post. I almost thought it was mine from another I too, after 20 some years have gone back to sewing and I too find patterns to be outrageous, what a great way to get patterns should anyone have some used ones for sale, or trade. I would use 8/10/12 pattern! Thank you for your time!

Yahoo groups have several swapping and trade buy groups. Here is a few:

Just go to yahoo or and type in and search and join

I have sold and trade my extra fabric, patterns, books and yarn there. Hope this helps.

Often JoAnn Fabrics has patterns on special $2.00(Butterick & Simplicity)-$3.95 for Vogue. You can always use a 40% off coupon in the ads they mail to you or printed from the internet. Have fun.

Another good source for patterns, particularly craft or costume patterns, is thrift stores. Look for a section with fabric remnants, notions, craft supplies, and usually there is also a supply of patterns for 25 or 50 cents. This applies usually to the smaller nonprofit stores (I've never seen patterns at Goodwill). Some will be cut into but many will be completely untouched (apparently people have been collecting and never getting around to using patterns for years.

And, of course, some estate sales will have vintage or recent patterns. Check the ad and it will usually note if the deceased was a sewing enthusiast.

Using Sewing Machine
Tips for Using Sewing Patterns
Crafts SewingSeptember 24, 2009
clothing pattern
McCall's Patterns Reviews
homemade soap
Having a Craft Swap Party
"Swap Not Shop" Party Ideas
"Swap Not Shop" Party Ideas
Vintage Sewing Pattern
Finding Vintage Sewing Patterns