Dogs Chewing Everything

We have two puppies that love to chew on everything from the dining table legs, chair legs, plastic garbage bags, weights and have even destroyed the blue padding that covers the springs on a trampoline! I've tried scolding verbally, they ignore me. I tried showing them the fly swatter and smacking my hand with it, also to no avail. What can I do to stop these two from chewing everything we own up? I have thought about tabasco, but have heard that destroys their taste buds and they'll be finicky (sp) eaters after. I'm one step away from begging for help here!

Desperately,
Dimps

Have you tried crating your pups when you cannot supervise them? Trust me, it works. Then when you can supervise them, offer them special chew toys.

Another thing, try a spray called bitter apple. It works on those things the puppies just won't leave alone. But I'd try crating or confining in an area until they're a bit older and can be supervised by you. Good luck.

I agree. They sound like normal pups to me. I've been through it twice. I lost so much stuff. But now i can't remember what I lost because they have brought so much joy into my life that it's no longer important. Hide treats around the house for them to find, like frozen pb in kongs. Also food in the toys that dispense it when they work for it. I don't leave food available when we're not home because I am concerned they will choke on it. I only leave water. So it's your call. I've never crated my dogs but as long as the crate is used in a positive/den way then it can be helpful. If they view it as a "home" then it's good.

They do get past the chewing stage eventually, just like a teething baby. The above suggestions are great. Just FYI-my Shelties chewed up the vinyl flooring in my kitchen. I then replaced it with ceramic tile!

I agree w/everything already suggested. Additionally, when you are home the best way to teach them is to have them attached to a leash and the leash around your waist. When you sit, they sit. When you move, they heel. When you need to correct a behavior, a gentle, or firm if necessary, quick "yank" on the leash - not to pull them but to startle them, works wonders! Good luck!

They puppies are probably teething, and their mouths hurt, get a pop or beer can, put some pebbles or pennies in it and tape the top shut . when they do something bad, shake the can . They do not like this at all. We have a dog , just turned 5 , he still moves when he just sees the can.

Our dog just got out of the puppy stage of chewing on things. It took about 1 year. But, she does get mad when left home alone. That is the only time we have a problem now. Our solution was to put her in a cage when we are not home with her. We put a blanket and some toys in there for her and she likes it. She will often go in there on her own just to lay down. While she was chewing on things, we kept plenty of chew toys around for her. The $ stores have them and Wal-mart has many for .88 We have also bought her stuffed animals and frisbees from garage sales. When we get home and let her out of her cage, she gets lots of love and attention and a treat for behaving.

Puppies chew,,,some for years. They do not know a good chair leg from a stick,,it is the chew thing. , or a good pair of shoes from a bad pair, eliminate as much as you can from their space,,put up shoes, books anything they can reach. Of course, the furniture will have to stay, but supply them with chewie things just for dogs..toys just for dogs.They will demolish everything in their space, because they are PUPPIES. My Puppie will be five in October, he has destroyed love seats, two mattresses, and box springs, clothing, books, anything he could reach. More bedspreads and comforters that possible. I have had to put him in the pen when I am not in the home. I don't think he will ever grow out of it,..but he is better,,,thankfully. It has taken a great deal of patience and $$ to keep him,,but he is one of the family.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier & a yorkie...

We went thru this chewing stage..

Swat them with the swatter...

I had a can of dust remover spray near my compute when I noticed a little one chewing at my NEW couch

and was ifnored so I sprayed the dust spray and

PRESTO like magic....dogs are smart they know when

they are wrong...

We provide them many chew bones and they pull

those out of the toy bin along with toys and chew

and they are happy and we are too

Keep on them they learn usually by 3'd scolding

and I did some swatting on little bottoms nothing

too hard just to get message with newspaper or

swatter....GOOD LUCK

I found that giving them those chew bones kept

them busy and able to chew..

Our love the crate they used to sleep with us

but then I started putting them in there all night

we are home all day so they are fine and happy

....

Puppies tend to chew on stuff because their teeth hurt. Like babies, pups go threw a teething stage. Try giving them a chew toy that's squishy or a rawhide.

A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Pets Dogs Training AdviceSeptember 8, 2005
dog eating plants
Keeping Dogs from Eating Plants
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
A couch chewed on by a dog.
Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
🎉
🎄