Dealing With a Dog That Chews

It can be very frustrating when trying to find a solution for a puppy or grown dog that likes to chew on seemingly everything. This is a guide about dealing with a dog that chews.

As the owner of a overly curious and very hyper Jack Russell, I have learned how to deal with a obsessive chewer. My dog, Abby, was six weeks old when we got her. I wanted her to be an inside dog, so she pretty much had the run of the house. When we would leave the house and even when we went to bed, we would leave her out.

After she got past the regular puppy stage, we noticed she still had an obsession with getting into stuff and chewing. After work, we would come home to pillows on the floor and sometimes chewed up and things scattered everywhere. One time, she found a tiny hole in the couch and ripped it open. Shoes, socks, checkbooks, pretty much anything she could get her paws on.

Now I know you think she's probably a little terror, but she is actually a sweet and very affectionate dog. All she needed was some boundaries. We bought her a pet taxi, but it just wasn't big enough for her to stay comfortably in for long periods of time. Finally, we bought her a big, fold up kennel. You can find them at Walmart and they are not that expensive. It was big enough for her to move around in and she had food, water, and toys to entertain her while she was in there. After she got used to the kennel, things got so much better. No more tearing up and getting into things, she learned then she had her limits on what she could or could not do. Now she knows when we get ready to leave, that's where she supposed to go, and she heads towards it. She has turned out to be the best dog and a wonderful part of the household. I know not everyone has a dog that's like this, but for the ones who do this is the best solution I found.

By Heather from Stanton, KY

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil. Rub a bit of clove oil on and watch out. No more chewing!

By Wendy Nan from Los Angeles, CA
http://www.thewildliferadio.com

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

This may have happened to you: you come home from a long day at work or a short trip to the store to find that your precious dog has demolished your favorite new shoes! I can still remember the day it happened to me. I had just gotten the cutest pair of flip-flops with a bamboo foot bed. They barely lasted a week before the bamboo was bam! Gone.

I've heard horror stories of dogs that chewed couches and chairs, carpets and carpet pads, and even mattresses! (At least three of these happened in my family.) Teaching your dog to chew the RIGHT things instead of whatever is available can be easier than you think.

You may also need to look at why your dog is chewing, knowing the reason for the problem can help you pick the right solution.

Last but not least, dogs just like to chew. It is a way to relieve stress and work off some energy.

I have a Pit Bull that chews everything she gets her mouth around. She will chew wood toys, rugs, beds, and drywall. What kind of toys can Pits have? She chews every kind of toy I get. How can I stop her from chewing the house up?

By John

Answers

Check out the Kongs. My dog is an aggressive chewer. The extreme Kongs have been great for my dog. He can destroy just about anything. The nylabones are also great. One of those lasts my dog about a month before I have to replace it because he's chewed it apart.

We have a Red Nose Pit Bull and we just started to notice him chewing up a lot of stuff around the house outside. We have toys and bones for him to chew on and we give him a lot of love. We are wondering if a muzzle will work for the chewing part.

By Petertink from Tehachapi, CA

Answers

We have a Yorkie who is now 18 mos. she is an avid chewer. just when we think it is over, she starts in again. the only advice we can offer is bitter apple sprayed on whatever she enjoys chewing. She hates it; I have tried others but she rather liked them. If someone else out there can offer advice I too, am willing to listen. She does go to the Nylabone when I catch her chewing and recommend the bone; but that doesn't always work either. I guess it is live and bear it.

Does he get regular exercise? Sometimes boredom causes chewing. He should have a good long walk every day.

We have two puppies that love to chew on everything from the dining table legs, chair legs, plastic garbage bags, weights and have even destroyed the blue padding that covers the springs on a trampoline! I've tried scolding verbally, they ignore me. I tried showing them the fly swatter and smacking my hand with it, also to no avail. What can I do to stop these two from chewing everything we own up? I have thought about tabasco, but have heard that destroys their taste buds and they'll be finicky (sp) eaters after. I'm one step away from begging for help here!

Desperately,
Dimps

Answers

Have you tried crating your pups when you cannot supervise them? Trust me, it works. Then when you can supervise them, offer them special chew toys.
Another thing, try a spray called bitter apple. It works on those things the puppies just won't leave alone. But I'd try crating or confining in an area until they're a bit older and can be supervised by you. Good luck.

I agree. They sound like normal pups to me. I've been through it twice. I lost so much stuff. But now i can't remember what I lost because they have brought so much joy into my life that it's no longer important. Hide treats around the house for them to find, like frozen pb in kongs. Also food in the toys that dispense it when they work for it. I don't leave food available when we're not home because I am concerned they will choke on it. I only leave water. So it's your call. I've never crated my dogs but as long as the crate is used in a positive/den way then it can be helpful. If they view it as a "home" then it's good.

They do get past the chewing stage eventually, just like a teething baby. The above suggestions are great. Just FYI-my Shelties chewed up the vinyl flooring in my kitchen. I then replaced it with ceramic tile!

I agree w/everything already suggested. Additionally, when you are home the best way to teach them is to have them attached to a leash and the leash around your waist. When you sit, they sit. When you move, they heel. When you need to correct a behavior, a gentle, or firm if necessary, quick "yank" on the leash - not to pull them but to startle them, works wonders! Good luck!

They puppies are probably teething, and their mouths hurt, get a pop or beer can, put some pebbles or pennies in it and tape the top shut . when they do something bad, shake the can . They do not like this at all. We have a dog , just turned 5 , he still moves when he just sees the can.

Our dog just got out of the puppy stage of chewing on things. It took about 1 year. But, she does get mad when left home alone. That is the only time we have a problem now. Our solution was to put her in a cage when we are not home with her. We put a blanket and some toys in there for her and she likes it. She will often go in there on her own just to lay down. While she was chewing on things, we kept plenty of chew toys around for her. The $ stores have them and Wal-mart has many for .88 We have also bought her stuffed animals and frisbees from garage sales. When we get home and let her out of her cage, she gets lots of love and attention and a treat for behaving.

Puppies chew,,,some for years. They do not know a good chair leg from a stick,,it is the chew thing. , or a good pair of shoes from a bad pair, eliminate as much as you can from their space,,put up shoes, books anything they can reach. Of course, the furniture will have to stay, but supply them with chewie things just for dogs..toys just for dogs.They will demolish everything in their space, because they are PUPPIES. My Puppie will be five in October, he has destroyed love seats, two mattresses, and box springs, clothing, books, anything he could reach. More bedspreads and comforters that possible. I have had to put him in the pen when I am not in the home. I don't think he will ever grow out of it,..but he is better,,,thankfully. It has taken a great deal of patience and $$ to keep him,,but he is one of the family.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier & a yorkie...
We went thru this chewing stage..
Swat them with the swatter...
I had a can of dust remover spray near my compute when I noticed a little one chewing at my NEW couch
and was ifnored so I sprayed the dust spray and
PRESTO like magic....dogs are smart they know when
they are wrong...
We provide them many chew bones and they pull
those out of the toy bin along with toys and chew
and they are happy and we are too
Keep on them they learn usually by 3'd scolding
and I did some swatting on little bottoms nothing
too hard just to get message with newspaper or
swatter....GOOD LUCK
I found that giving them those chew bones kept
them busy and able to chew..
Our love the crate they used to sleep with us
but then I started putting them in there all night
we are home all day so they are fine and happy
....

Puppies tend to chew on stuff because their teeth hurt. Like babies, pups go threw a teething stage. Try giving them a chew toy that's squishy or a rawhide.

Why do outside dogs on a leash chew up on anything that it gets to and how can I stop it?

By L.H.

My Pit is basically a year old. Today I decided to give her a test and not crate her; I was only gone for an hour and she chewed the window sill. I have two other full-grown dogs here as well, they are 5 and 7 year old Labs. Why is she still chewing and how do I correct this issue of my dog?

By Bobby

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

Does anyone have an idea for a dog bed pad for a dog that really likes to chew? I've been using an old quilt that I have to sew back up almost every day. I've also used old packing blankets that he just chews to shreds.

By Leese from OR

My 10-month-old female Dachshund loves to chew on shoes (other things, too, but mostly shoes). We have changed our habits by ensuring that our shoes are out of reach, but it's difficult to communicate this importance to guests who visit for extended periods.

I think something that would go a long way toward training her would be to limit her "approved" chew toys list. Personally, I would like to have one (maybe two) unique toys that she knows are OK to chew on. My husband, however, seems to think she needs "stimulation," so just about every week, he brings in one or two new squeaky, bouncy, chewy things for her to play with - to the point that now we have about 15 or 20 toys (that haven't already been destroyed) to choose from.

I think this is confusing to her, giving her too many options. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? (Note: We do have a 14-month-old male companion Doxie, too. He's been "shoe-chew-free" for about 10 months now.)

Evie

Answers

I agree with you. I used to work for a veterinarian and we always told people that their puppies should have only a few toys and if you give them too many it gets confusing and they think they can chew on everything. And definitely don't give them any old shoes to chew on!

We have a one year old JackRussell very GOOD girl..then we have 6 month old Yorkie (PITB/Pain in the Butt) who we LOVE and Yorkie ate my hubbys
shoes one night...OOPS...we got LOTS of toys and chew strips, chew bones and now Yorkie looks in his
little toy basket for stuff to chew and play with, he is
learning that toys OK shoes NO-NO...and no recent
incidents...I pick up toys each night with Grabber and put them in his basket and each morning he
finds a new one to use....
Patience will be your friend... :)

My two longhaired dachshunds, Molly and Doodad, will chew for hours on those chew hooves (icky and stinky, but oh well!) and rope 'bones' with two large knots. They can destroy other toys in two minutes flat. Maybe you could try these and keep them occupied and away from the shoes. Worth a try.

That's not to many toys at all. What you should do tho, is only put a few out at a time and rotate them each week so there is always 'new' and 'intresting' toys they can play with and don't get bored and go looking for other things to chew on.

Invest in a kong for each dog as well then, stuff them each day with kibble and peanut butter or something else they like and it'll keep them busy.

Or invest in a feed/treat ball. It's a small ball you place kibble in and each time the dog pushes it with it's nose or paw it drops a few pieces of kibble. It'll keep your dog busy, make him eat slower and get him moving.

Best of Luck,
Cinthia

Well most dogs luv to play with rugs and all shorts of soft material. So... I usually just take toys they never use and tie them together or connect them some how (matters what toys) the dogs luv them and they mainly dont get tired of playing with them most dogs just like the toys cause of all the varieties of the toys connected. its easy and saves A LOT of money!

I understand that the dog chews on shoes, but it's still a pup. You have to work with them often, and if you catch them with a shoe, give them a stern 'No!'. They will soon understand, and if they are 'Shoe-free' for a day or two, give them a treat, such as a raw-hide.

My dog has everything a dog can have, even more; she lives better than many Americans in this hard economic situation. My dog needs attention and love I guess every second because if not she destroys things. Every time she is left home alone when I go to pick up my son from school (just for 30 minutes), she destroys my son's bed, sheets, and pillows.

I'm scared she can hurt my two kids. I have a 13 month old baby that my dog does not like too much. Please help, I'm thinking seriously of taking her to a shelter. BTW my dog has a bed inside our home, she eats, drinks, and stays inside, because if not she gets upset, we also walk her.

By Cio R.

I have a Dachshund that chews holes in all the blankets he can get his teeth into! Nothing else, just blankets. Is there anything I can spray on my blankets or any other ideas to prevent his blanket chewing? All my blankets are full of little holes!
Thanks!

By Sue from VA

Answers

My dog does the same thing, and only when we're not home (the last remaining sign of separation anxiety). We have baskets under the TV where we put all our lap blankets when we're not using them and I shut all the bedroom doors when we leave so he can't get to the bedding (so technically I'm avoiding the problem).

The trainer at PetSmart recommended trying some of the bitter apple sprays (she said we may have to try a couple different brands before we found one that worked for our dog. You'd want to test them somewhere hidden first in case it does something to the fabric.

Your little furball sounds like my little Daisy that we lost a few years back, she was such a darling and she was a Dachshund also and she did the same thing to one of our blankets and other things. Bless her heart, we still have the blanket that she chewed tiny holes all in it. lol. Believe it or not it is the warmest blanket in the house ,even with the tiny holes in it. Just thought that I would share this with you.

Anonymous

I wish I could tell you I have an answer for this problem, except to keep your sense of humor. When I was 10 I had a beautiful blue and white mohair scarf I had recieved for Christmas. While showing it off to my neighbor, it was eaten by her dachshund Peter Von Wartenburg. I really missed my scarf and was truly worried about my buddy Peter. For Peter "everything worked out allright". I was out a great scarf, but dog kisses made up for it quickly. I still watch my clothes around dachshunds.

How do I break my 6 year dog, that I just adopted 5 months ago, from tearing holes in comforters. I have tried time out, making her wear the blanket around her neck because the hole fit over her head for 20 minutes, and not allowing her on the bed. Help me this is getting expensive.

By Linda

Why is my dog chewing up everything when left home?

By Djsam from Azusa, CA

Answers

It's a dog anxiety some pets go through when left alone. Put the dog into a confined area; a large cage or in a room and give it lots of things that can be chewed on. Turning on the radio or tv while away might help a little as there will be voices around. We play a "classical music" station on the radio for our dogs as it has a calmimg/relaxing effect. My daughter noticed this change in them after we left the house and she saw how they reacted to the soothing music. My husband plays it for the dogs when I leave the house and he noticed they become relaxed enough to to go sleep for awhile. This just might be a short term effect that won't last for an 8 hr. work shift, but when you leave for grocery shopping, church, etc., it has proved helpful.

Anonymous

It definitely sounds like separation anxiety. Here are a couple of links with great ideas to try:

http://www.wagn  eparationAnx.htm

http://www.metp  iety_in_dogs.htm

Putting a dog with separation anxiety in a confined place such as a kennel is not recommended.

I agree it is separation anxiety. I am no expert on this situation, but having had many dogs, I know that they need regular exercise several times a day, they love a schedule so they know what to expect and when to expect it. If they have a good schedule, usually you can spend some few hours away from home and not have so much anxiety. But check with your vet. Good luck.

Our 1 year old Lab has a bad habit that he started about 3 months ago. Whenever we leave him to himself he would bite the window sill. Sometimes it happens when we are home too. Usually there is at least 1 person home, but that person doesn't pay attention to our dog, so our dog would go to the window and start to chew on it.

For the past three months it has been bite, fix, bite, fix, bite, fix... We started to wonder if we aren't fit to have a dog. We are deciding to find a better home for him, but I'm trying to hold on to the last bit of hope. I really want him to say with us, but I'm probably being selfish. He might have a better life with a better family. Please help. Thanks.

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell. He chews glasses and through electronic wires. We've bought him chew toys. The problem is we have 2 other dogs that play with the toys. I don't know what to do, my family is ready to send him to the pound. I don't want this to happen I love this dog, but I'm frustrated.

Our great Dane is 7 months. She stays outside during the day in a wooden kennel. She goes in the garden and chews our sprinkler pipes. How can we make her stop? We tried to close it up with a fence about a meter high. She still goes through.

By Wanda from Worcester

My 3 year old Yorkie chews his bed and blankets. He does not do this when left in the house alone, but will start when I return home, especially if I am on the phone.

By Mary J

I have a two year old male Pit Bull that chews on my furniture. I had bought a large cage to keep him in all day while I was at work. Then I had felt sorry for him and kept him out during the day while at work, leaving a radio on in one room and a TV in another room. He was fine for a while, but then reverted back to his destructive pattern. Then I would put him back in the cage again, then felt sorry for him, kept him out, then same pattern started all over again. I purposely have kept one piece of furniture in the house that he keeps destroying, but when I came back home today it was destroyed and I have to throw it out. Honestly I am over it! I can not take this anymore and I am torn about giving him up. Are there any meds I can give him during the day while I am out to keep him chilled and calm? Maybe I need to take some meds to deal with this!

By C.V.W.

Our Pit is chewing everything. Where do we get Kong products; at what pet store?

By Reginald D from Detroit, MI

I have a German Shepherd that is 6 months old and I have flowers that he ate, solar lights that he chewed up, and rocks and wood everything he sees! So then today he ate my patio screen sliding door, the net. I don't know what to do. So I give him a little smack on the nose everytime he does anything bad. Is that dangerous?

I have a 6 year old female Staffy that has only just started to chew. She has decided to start chewing through the plaster wall in my house. I have no idea why and nothing has changed around the house. She has never chewed before.

I have a Dachshund Chihuahua Pug mix puppy with chewing and issues of running off when let out or getting out of the house without a leash. How can I get her to stop these bad behaviors?

I have a red nosed pit bull and she is about 9 months old. She was chewing on everything when we first got her so we used a crate. We slowly left her out for an hour at a time, and then all day. She was doing so good. Just the occasional piece of paper, and getting into the trash if we left it out. Now all of the sudden she is back to chewing, the couch, and I don't know how to make her stop. She has another dog to play with all day, so I don't think she is bored. Please help.

Thank you,
Shawna from Benton Harbor, Michigan

Answers:

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

All pits must have chew toys and other toys as well. They have some anxiety and this will help. also, she is getting her adult teeth and will chew things until they come in. Hope that helps. (09/26/2006)

By phylimac

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

We have five pit bulls mixed with rots and yes, they chew everything, WOOD ON THE HOUSE. The vet says they are bored. I have several toys. They chew so many; its hard to walk around them like kids toys all over the room. I spend most of my time with them. The 2 older ones now 2 are happy with anything to chew. I give them plastic water bottles. When I get them empty plastic spice bottles toys and things so they leave my furniture and other things alone

The other 3 are pups. They are 5 months old so I started giving them the plastic bottles, with snacks inside the bottles. they amuse themselves with those so much working hard to get the snacks out, that they don't chew the furniture and woodwork carpet and etc anymore. The vet said keep them busy with lots of attention or keep them just busy, but the snacks in the bottles work well for us and saved me a lot of money on what they used to chew up.

Good luck, I hope you find just the right thing to help you it does get so expensive with all they chew trust me with 5, I learned lol Let me know how it works out for ya. I have yahoo so ya can easily mail me if ya want to you can find me this way needy_reynolds wth the yahoo mail Good luck!

(09/26/2006)

By needy in Indiana

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Hi I had or have a similar problem with 1 of my mini dachshunds. The major part of it stopped when we bought them chew bones and toys to chew on. and not just little things either. Had to buy them the ones made for the large breeds. Also we tried to remove their food from the floor during non-eating times and that's when 1 re-started to chew on the legs of the table. I also as a treat give them cut up carrots, broccoli stems, raw potatoes or apples. these let them chew and are also healthy. and they love it. (10/06/2006)

By LRP Lowell, Mass.

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Wal-mart, Target, etc sells a bottle called "no chew". Just spray it on whatever they are chewing. This stuff puts a real bad taste in their mouth. I have 2 pits also. I used this stuff for the chow I used to have and it worked good on him. (09/25/2007)

By tas

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have one pitbull, she is fine whenever I am home or nearby. When she is alone while I'm at work, she will chew anything in sight. Most recently, she got into my DVD collection and chewed the cases up on a lot of good dvds.

I talked to a trainer and he said it was because of something called, "Seperation Anxiety", which would make sense because while I'm home she is not mouthy.

I used to come home and the whole room would be destroyed, and I was shocked because I Didn't see her acting like that... she is usually very very calm.

What I am doing currently is crate training her to help her get used to being by herself. Inside the crate I am putting A KONG chew toy so she can eat and learn only to chew on certain things.

If she goes near anything while she's out as if intending to chew it that isn't hers... I move her away from it, and give her a familiar toy.

`Chuck (10/19/2007)

By

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a brindle pit and she is a little bit over a year old. But my problem is I don't know how I can make her quit chewing on everything! She chews my shoes up, table legs, toys too!
You name it this dog has chewed it up! If any one has any ideas on how to make her stop please give me advice!
(11/12/2007)

By

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a 2 year old blond brindle pit. He is my baby, My fiance' and i rescued him at a pound about 3 months ago. We have been staying with my fiance's uncle for about a month now, he has a young white pit. He is less than a year. He started chewing on furniture- the couch,the rug, the chair- and getting into the trash..Then our pit started doing it to. He's not as bad as the younger one.. but he's much bigger and could destroy furniture.

We are about to move out and are afraid that he will continue this habit after we move. He has been caught doing it in front of people and while everyone is gone. We love him to death and he's a big sweetheart. But we are afraid we will have to get rid of him if he doesn't stop. What are we supposed to do? (01/02/2008)

By Ashley

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

This is not a problem, it is stress relief for the dog. If your dog is biting everything,
1. HE NEEDS EXERCISE EVERY DAY! Pits need it MUCH more than most dogs, they need to run till their pooped out.
2. They need to chew, they are dogs and that is a major part of being a pit bull dog. Huge meaty bones are the best thing to keep a pit occupied.

They have to be supervised because they can splinter if you don't pay attention. No matter how small your pit he can handle the biggest available because in a few days the bone will be much smaller than when it started. Mine will chew for up to 2 hours straight and then go to sleep for a while.

Chewing everything is frustration and it is not the dog's fault it is the owner's responsibility to a pit bull to exercise it vigorously every day. Also watch the Dog Whisperer on Nat Geo channel it will help a ton. Pits need a very strong attentive owner that can provide this exercise and mental stimulus for them every day or you will have a very frustrated dog and a very messy house, if they don't chew through it completely! (04/20/2008)

By Sam

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Puppies, no matter what breed are going to chew, they usually get out of that stage around 8-9 months. They are defiantly going to chew at 3 months. I have 2 pits and had just a few occasions where they made a small hole in the wall or chewed the corners of my coffee table. I get them these big raw hide bones from Sams Club, there are like 15 in the pack for like $10. I introduced it to them and played with it and them so they were used to it. They are the best. Also empty plastic bottle like 2 litter sodas are the best, just throw it at them and they love it. Also peanut butter.

There are some hollow bones in Target or grocery stores, place a few pieces of chicken and a whole bunch of peanut butter (it only works for one of my pits since the other one just won't eat the peanut butter unless I'm in his direct eye sight, it's weird ) now about sprays that are supposed to prevent the chewing may not help just because it's a taste that some dogs will like. At first try Tabasco sauce, it may do the trick and save you from purchasing a $10 can of spray. If not sour apple or lemon, its worth the try at least. And there is any dog chewing out crates (with an S) then you should get a metal crate and not spend the money on something they can chew through. (11/28/2009)

By yessy1019

I have a black Lab and Pit Bull mix. I can't figure out how to stop her from eating up my house when I am gone.

By darledmar from Warren, MI

Answers:

Dog Chews When Left Alone

Put her in a dog crate. The crate should be big enough for her to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably. You can buy dog crates at Wal-mart, Kmart or maybe you can find a used one on craigslist.com or on e-bay. Most dogs get used to their crates and actually feel safer in them. Good luck (06/12/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Dog Chews When Left Alone

Yep, you need to crate. We thought we could shut my rattie in one room during the day to cut down on the chewing. We came home to shredded carpet. The vet recommended wood floors and crating. I had never crated before and so I thought it seemed cruel at first. We gave it a shot because we were desperate. Turns out Dunkin loves his crate. He goes in on his own when he thinks I'm heading out.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL (06/12/2009)

By TraceyI

Dog Chews When Left Alone

You could try leaving a radio on and a lot of toys. I have some toys that I fill with meat, cheese, and/or dog food. I freeze these and leave for the dog's entertainment. Also, my dog is much less apt to chew if he's had a walk. Even a short walk works for him. (06/13/2009)

By mulberry204

Dog Chews When Left Alone

Walking does help some. We were already walking our rattie half an hour a day when he shredded our carpet. I was walking Dog Whisperer style, fast paced with no stops. It didn't so much help with his chewing but he did have better behavior in other areas. My Dunkin is just neurotic with the separation anxiety. No amount of toys or treats would help. Crating protects him from himself too. There is no telling how much stuff he would ingest on the loose unsupervised and our house is pretty much doggie proof. They get sneaky and creative when they have 8 hours to kill.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL (06/13/2009)

By TraceyI

Dog Chews When Left Alone

Do marker training with a dog crate. It is so fun. Get the wire kind and not too small. See leerburg.com for more information....basically marker training is sitting by the crate and having a cut of piece of hot dog in your hand, (lots of small pieces). You say crate, and move the hot dog into the crate. When the exact moment of the dog entering the crate happens, throw down a reward (hot dog piece). This can be done as many times as there are pieces of hot dog every day. This is a fun form of training. The dog learns fast and you get to have a dog that starts to understand things.

Crate is the only way to go. They complain at first, but they have to learn you are the one in charge. It is not cruel. Hating the dog because he is a mess and turning him into the shelter is worse than teaching him boundaries.

Lots of love and good luck! Robyn (06/13/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Dog Chews When Left Alone

A reminder: crates make a dog feel successful because it controls his behavior and sets him up for success. Like while you are doing the dishes, crating him keeps him from getting told "no" all the time. Don't let whining stop you from crating they will eventually accept it. Wire crates are great. Try signing up for freecycle.org. I got a ferret cage for free on there, and ferret cages are expensive! (06/13/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Dog Chews When Left Alone

Get him a large Kong Toy, stuff the inside edges with peanut butter, and freeze it. When you go out, give him the frozen Kong with peanut butter. He will stay occupied trying to lick all the peanut butter out of that Kong for a long time. I also use round marrow bones from the butcher. They love to chew on those for hours. (06/13/2009)

By Stngray

Dog Chews When Left Alone

I was reluctant at first to use a crate for my dog when we're at my boyfriend's house, but she loves it! She goes in on her own and it helps her with her anxiety and the issues she was having. (06/15/2009)

By cowpunkgal

Dog Chews When Left Alone

For the love of dog! Get him some toys. They work wonders. <3
(06/16/2009)

By BenjiTheKid

Dog Chews When Left Alone

Can your dog see out the windows? Mine did the same thing until I made sure she knew how to jump up on an old chair so she could see outside. Once she got the idea she quit tearing up the house. (06/26/2009)

By Karensteph

I got a dog for Christmas from my ex boyfriend and I love it a lot. It's so cute, but my parents want to get rid of it because he chews up everything. What can I do to make him stop chewing on stuff?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Load More