Rust Stains On Jeans - Categories:

Clothing StainsCleaning

Rust Stains On Jeans

I have two pairs of white jeans that have rust spots on them from water. I have tried using bleach and bleach pen but it didn't work. How can i get the rust out without throwing them away?

Leann from Illinois

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hi Leann! I've never had the problem but I did some surfing and found this site that suggests using lemon juice...it's worth a try. I hope this helps: http://www.ehow.com/how_18793_remove-rust-fabric.html

My Mother always removed rust stains with lemon juice, by applying the juice, and then laying item out in the sun to dry.

There is a product from the Rit Dye company that removes rust. I think it's called Rust-out or Rust-remover. It should be in the laundry or cleaning section. I've noticed that a lot of stores have cut down on the variety of Rit products that they carry. You might try searching for a website for Rit to see if you can order the product or see if a store near you has the rust remover.

Try using a cleanser called Bar Keeper's Friend. Mix into a paste with cold water and spread it on the rust stain. Let sit for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with cold water. This product contains oxalic acid, which is great for removing rust stains. Good Luck!

Iron Out powder is an excellent rust remover. Before I got a water softener/rust remover, I used it for every load of whites I did and never had a rust problem (and my water was full of iron). I just added 1/2 cup of powder to a full load of whites and they came out fine.

TerryfromChilliOH

Try Whink Rust Stain Remover. You can get it in your hardware store or even in your super market. Follow directions. Bonnie

at least you have a stain that several people pay big money for jeans with that stain on there purposly

from http://www.srfabrics.com/care/stain.htm

Rust

Any of the methods given below are safe for white fabrics, but test on colored fabrics before use.

Lemon Juice - suitable for light stains on delicate fabrics. Spread stain over a bowl of boiling water and sprinkle with lemon juice. After a few minutes, rinse well and repeat if necessary.

Lemon Juice and Salt - sprinkle stain with salt, rub with lemon juice and place in sunlight. Keep moist with lemon juice till stain goes. Rinse well.

Cream of Tartar - (a powder, available in your grocery store spice section) for extensive staining, boil in a solution of 3 tsp. cream of tartar per cup of water. Rinse well OR if less extensive, dampen stain, spread with cream of tartar, hold in steam from boiling kettle. Rinse immediately stain goes. Do not use on fabrics that cannot be washed in hot water.

Hope this helps! Jennifer

There is a product sold in grocery stores or Walmart called"Rust Stain Remover . the brand is . It works great. /just sqeeze on the stuff until the stain disappears and then wash it right away. Do NOT let it sit for awhile. It gets rust stains out of the clothes like magic!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMay 30, 2005
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 11:10:31 PM on 10.0.2.6 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.