Advice for Changing Careers

I graduated from college in 2001 with a liberal arts degree. I now work as a Disability Claims Specialist but I definitely would rather be in another field that is more rewarding and also give me more of a feeling of self accomplishment and professionalism.

I have always enjoyed working with the elderly and would love to see what opportunities are out there for me, but don't know where to start. I would like to go back to school too, but right now I just want to start setting goals and do the work to achieve them. Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction? I would be very appreciative.

By zimmerman615 from Philadelphia, PA

Have you tried your local Council on Aging? I know that a lot of communities have needs, some may just be for volunteers, but that could give you an idea. There are also positions here called 'ombudsmen'---they are people that advocate for the elderly in the nursing homes. If there are complaints that don't seem to be solved, they help intervene. I am not sure what they pay, but you can't lose by asking.

Perhaps you could find work in a therapy or rehabilitation center. You might enjoy being a physical therapist assistant (less school time required than being a P.T.), an occupational therapist assistant, or a recreational therapist. Working w/these folks will help you decide for or against a career in one of those fields, or in lieu of a paying job, you could always volunteer!

You might also contact hospice care to see if they have needs for volunteers. If you do go back to school and are considering a long-term degree, I'd suggest a Masters in counseling or a Masters in Social Work (so you could be a geriatric therapist, maybe through a hospital or hospice care), or perhaps get a degree that would allow you to become a nursing home administrator.

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobMay 5, 2009
Wiper Blades on White Background
Changing Windshield Wiper Blades
Woman with dyed auburn hair.
Changing Your Hair Color
Changing Table
Organizing a Changing Table
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
🎄