Changing Your Hair Color

Category Coloring
Changing the color of dyed hair can be tricky. This is a guide about changing your hair color.

Changing naturally dark hair or hair that has been dyed a dark color to a lighter one, does require additional steps. This is a guide about changing hair color from dark to light.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have dyed my hair jet black and I tried to put peroxide in it to make it lighter so I can dye it red; it didn't work. How do I make it light enough to make the red dye show?

By Nicole from Buffalo, NY

Answers

Anonymous

So sorry but about all you can do now is place a vibrant red over the black often but not on the roots! Either be patient and allow the black to eventually fade and grow out or seek out and pay for a really good professional color hairstylist.

I have to agree with Deeli, you are asking a lot of your hair. It would be best to wait for the black to fade. You could use a shampoo with egg in it, as the egg will over time fade the color but what you might have in between is hard to tell. A professional hairdresser might use a color stripper to remove some of the built up color, she/he would be able to tell you if you should go red at that time according to the condition of your hair. Be careful you don't do to much to soon. Been there and done that! Good luck.

I once dyed my hair too bright a red (I now have dyed red hair that I enjoy), and it was suggested by my daughter who once dyed her hair a red that dyed a bright orange, instead, that she washed her hair in baking soda and that well toned it way down. I did that to my hair and it really worked! It really seems to pull the color out, especially if you really mess it up! Good luck!

If you used a semi-permanent color you could try washing it every day until the color fades a little. I haven't tried either baking soda or egg, but they can't hurt. Unless your hair feels really dry. If so, condition it for a few weeks without adding anything else, then try the red. Dry hair will take up the dye really unevenly.

My hair color is dyed golden brown and it was dyed red before. I want to change to a dark blonde. Can I just buy a lighter color and dye it?

By Angi M.

How do I dye out ombre hair color?

By desereeT