Problems Threading a Needle?

If you're having trouble threading needles, buy some with slots at the top. Just insert thread from the top. The thread won't come out unless you tug on it.

By nancyintx

You can also just get a needle threader, which has a fine wire which goes through the needle's hole,allowing you to put thread through it, pull & thread the needle!

There are also some needles with the slots at the side. I too had trouble with the top slots pulling through as I sewed. It also helps to have a file card to hold behind the needle eye. I use one when threading a sewing machine needle. Sometimes it is easier to thread the needle when out of the machine then insert after it is threaded.

At a quilter's seminar, the teacher told us to trim the thread end to a 45-deg angle and bring the needle to the thread instead of the reverse. Works perfectly for these 76-year-old eyes! I tried the slotted needles, but when I pull hard through the quilt, it came out of the slot.

winterquiltersummergolfer

My husband offered me some of his floss threaders--they work just as well as needle threaders, but don't come apart. They are available in the dental supplies part of drug stores and grocery stores, and you get quite a few for not much money. I love them.