Cigarette Smoke on Teak Wood Chest

I received a Teak wood chest (I wanted cedar) from my mother-in-law which she has had for over 30 years. It is in good shape for being so old and has very detailed carvings (it was purchased overseas). Her instructions for cleaning were twice a year wipe it down using a soft paint brush and Liquid Gold.

The cleaning problem is that she and my father-in-law were both heavy smokers their entire lives. This chest now wreaks of cigarette smoke. How in the world do I get rid of this smell without ruining the wood? Please help before I offend her by not putting it in my house.

Lisa from Milton, FL

Try wiping it down with white vinegar. I seems to get rid of all kinds of odors. I have also heard of putting charcoal (the kind without the lighter fluid added)in the chests to rid them of odors

Do you have a garage or back porch? You could spray/wash it with Febreeze on a damp cloth, then leave it open to the air for a few might even take a week or so. My parents have both smoked my entire life so I am used to having to let my things air out before I bring them into my home!

God Bless,

Sheila Saey in Decatur, IL

They make cedar sheets that can be sawed to fit inside your teak chest to make it smell like a cedar chest. I did this to two of mine that were handed down to me. Have also done this to an old trunk and my closets.

I just went through this. A dresser my friend gave me smelled so bad. I took the back piece of wood off the back and took it outside and let it sit out in the sun for 2 weeks. I would take a rag and wash with murphy's oil soap. I put newspaper in the drawers and it helped

a bit after a few weeks. Then I took the drawers and entire dresser outside and washed down every couple of days. It took nearly 2 months during summer to get rid the smell but I now have a nice dresser. Or you could take the back off and buy a fresh piece of wood

(the idea did not occur to me at the time). As I have asthma and strong distaste for cig smell.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureDecember 30, 2008
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
Cigarette Smoke
Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From a Painting