Cleaning Cigarette Smoke Odors on Stuffed Toys

Category Toys
Child sniffing and hugging large stuffed bear
Cigarette smoke is so pervasive. It clings to everything including a child's stuffies. This is a guide about cleaning cigarette smoke odors on stuffed animals.

How do I get the smell of cigarettes out of stuffed animals? I have washed them in hot water with detergent plus white vinegar, and then put them in the dryer on hot, yet they still smell.

By Cindi

Best Answer

Not quite the same thing, but whenever I use wool that has been stored in airtight plastic bags, there is a terrible smell coming from it which feel like a mixture of chemicals and smoke.

So I then store the wool for a month or so in a bag or box filled with lavender sachets. It always get's rid of the smells.

Best Answer

First; take those cigarettes away from the children; this should be a good lesson to them as to how difficult it is to get rid of nicotine.

Secondly; set the stuffed animals out in the fresh air for a month or three (weather protected of course) or third: bag stuffed items with Activated Charcoal.

Best Answer

Try Odorban it works.You can get it at Walmart in the cleaning section.

How do I remove the smell of cigarette smoke from stuffed animals without using too many chemicals?

Gaylebear from Flemington, NJ

Answers:

Cigarette Smoke Odors on Stuffed Animals

Try taking the stuffed animals outside on a sunny breezy day. Or how about spraying with Febreeze and tossing in the dryer for a few minutes? (09/18/2006)

By Connie from MD

Wash them in the washing machine. Most stuffed animals come out looking and smelling fabulous! (09/19/2006)

By Dust Bunny HK

Hi Gaylebear,
When I quit smoking, my house smelled horrible! I wanted to clean and freshen everything up. My dd had gobs of stuffed animals. I wasn't confident enough to put them in the washer (didn't know if the eyes, bows, nose, etc. would fall off), so I put them in the dryer on permanent press and low-heat with a white T-shirt dampened with white vinegar and 3 tennis balls. I didn't want to use fabric sheets, they would hide the smell but not clean the animals. The stuffed animals came out clean, fluffy, smelling fresh and all parts intact! (09/19/2006)

By SweetCali40

Throw them in the dryer with a dryer sheet. Set on air only. (04/03/2008)

By Gary Dominicus