Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors

Category Odors
The odor from cigarette smoke is strong, pervasive, and often difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odors.

To help eliminate smoke odors from ashtrays while in use, pour some baking soda in them. This also helps for easy clean up.

By Lisa S.

Cigarette smoke permeates many materials of a car's interior, making it a challenge to remove the smell. This guide is about removing cigarette smoke odor from a car.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing cigarette smell from leather jacket. You will want to use the appropriate cleaning methods for leather when trying to remove cigarette odor from a jacket.

This is a guide about cleaning cigarette smoke odors on stuffed animals. Cigarette smoke is so pervasive. It clings to everything including a child's stuffies.

Cigarette smoke permeates everything in a smokers household. Removing the odor of cigarettes can be difficult, especially from anything leather.

This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke odor from leather.

I need to know how to get rid of cigarette smoke in my house. My husband smokes. I have used all kinds of spray. Burned candles, still I can smell the smoke. What can I use? I have a small poodle, so I would need something that wouldn't hurt my dog.

Shonda from Grand Rivers, KY

Answers

You could ask your husband to smoke outside!

By Jean (Guest Post)

Do you have a Sam's Club nearby? If so, they sell a spray called Smoke Eliminator by Zep.
It has a nice fresh fragrance and works wonders.

I am a smoker & what i do is. I take dryer sheet & fold them in half & then staple them together. Then i tape them over my heater duck & i even put them in front of 1 of my cold air returns. When people that don't smoke comes over i do ask them if they can smell smoke & they do tell me that they don't smell any smoke.

By Pammd (Guest Post)

My husband used to smoke and no one ever smelled smoke in our house. I had lots of house plants! Some are better known than others to clean the air, do a little checking and get a few plants to kill the odors

I also have found that putting out a dish or small bowl of vinegar absorbs odors.

Another thought is to put vinegar and water in a squirt bottle and spray the room or rooms. I've used it on clothing too when it gets smokey smelling. Granted the clothes smell a little bit like a salad for a few minutes but that oder will dissapate.

By (Guest Post)

Febreze is the way to go. It completely eliminates the smoke odors and it is safe with pets.

By Velva L. (Guest Post)

Vinegar and water.

By marigal333 (Guest Post)

I will try the vinegar and water or is it just vinegar? Any suggestions on how to approach the subject of smoking oustide (my husband and guest's) without hurt feelings? We liven in an apartment and when we can (weather permiting) we will open the sliding door but we live in west texas and the dirt blows a lot over here,, some advise please. FYI husband is a sensitive person.

My husband smokes cigarettes in the bedroom, but the whole house smells like an ashtray. I've tried to get him to smoke outside but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the "ashtray" smell in my house? Thanks.

By Pamela

There is a cigarette odour behind the base cupboards in a fitted kitchen. A small gap at the top of each cupboard and drawer allows the smell to permeate. As the smell seems to be on the wall behind how can I eliminate this?

I just bought my new mobile (double-wide) home. New to me, but owned by a smoker. When I first viewed the home I did not smell smoke at all and I am a real shark for smoke smell (I hate it). I viewed the home 2xs in 2 weeks. No odor. My offer is accepted and I return for home inspection - smoke! I ask. Told it was the AC - deceased husband smoked just under the built-in AC. Hmmmm....OK. Returned for a gab and buy/sell with owner (real nice woman) barely a whiff. OK. Walk-thru gets put smack up to closing and at walk-thru I could hardly breath. I opened all windows for 2 days - still stinks to high heaven!

Question - and thanks for excellent tips here - I could never wash walls by hand (disabled) so I wondered if I might use a thick painting roller and roll the residue off? Even the ceilings could be done this way. I couldn't do that, friends will help, but I could roll the walls. What do you think of this as a method? Seeing as how I wasn't able to smell anything at viewings (I'm sure her realtor put the fear of god into her that buyers would flee if she didn't smoke outside, but once she had a P & S Agreement she slipped back and by move out time it was packs and packs galore). I'm hoping a wash with water and vinegar or TSP (but don't you have to also rinse TSP?). I sure could not do the cleaning 2xs) prior to KILZ primer and paint will do the job. I will also, of course, wash all shelves, cupboards, etc. What do you think? And sorry for the long (...)s, I know they make the reading harder. Bad habit. Thanks.

By Sue B

I have a room attached to my garage that is sheetrocked and insulated, but is not painted or primed. My renters smoke very heavily in this room and now that room and the garage smells. When they took down the pictures that they had hanging up there is a brown tint around where the picture was hanging.

We have had the windows open but this does not help. What is the best way to get the smell out. Also, is priming it now just going to make the smell stick into the walls.

Please help with any ideas!

By Sue

My house smells of cigarette smoke, thanks to the people who lived in it before me. I was told to bleach the walls to get out the smell, but was wondering if there were any other ways to get out that nasty smell. Thanks.

By Deborah A

We are moving into a lower level duplex, the upstairs tenants are heavy smokers and moved out from the lower level a few days ago. I will deep clean the carpets and walls to get the smell out of the lower level, but am concerned about the continuing tobacco smoke from above, or the air ducts.

I am not sure how to clean. Will my cleaning will be null and void because of the continuous smoking from up above?

Anya from MN

Answers

By Candace (Guest Post)

I would think that your air ducting wouldn't be connected, but if it is, I wouldn't know what to do, maybe consider special filters. If it is not connected, the best way to get that smoke smell out is to paint your ceilings/walls, clean carpets and a/c filter, and if someone-landlord could clean the a/c unit/ducts
it would be great. Ask the landlord prior to moving in if the units are connected by airduct-I know I couldn't live like that with 3 people with asthma in my family.

i have this problem with my neighbor next store we are currently renting a townhouse this yr til we find a home here in town we moved recently and it kills me the smoje they smoke all day!!! i tried to no avail i gave up and i just bought the glade wall plug in oil units and i put in all rooms keep them refilled 1 time a month it helps i use the summer berries one it is best once that is in walls and pads of carpet it cant be gotten rid of!!!! sorry

You have to get the air ducts professionally cleaned or removed. Nicotine has a tar like substance that comes out in the smoke, it will stick to anything! I remember when my parents used to smoke in the house (a LONG time ago) it wasn't until my Mom saw the brown drips on the bathroom walls (the tar stuff) did she realize how gross it was and how bad it was for me and my sister (go figure, I stopped having strep throat after that!).

Honestly, I don't think you can get smoke out of an apartment. I lived in one like that for two years and every single time I was out (at church, at my parents' house) I could smell smoke on my clothes. It positively emanated from me and it was awful. Personally, as a nonsmoker, I would not rent a place that had had smokers, and as a landlord now, I won't rent to a smoker because if they smoke in the house, it wrecks it.

Smoke permeates the wood in the walls, the floors, the drywall board, carpet, and everything. And yes, it gets into airducts. If it smells bad contact the landlord immediately, it will give you a legal reason to break the contract.

Thanks for all the feedback, We are here and are "smoked out" regularly!

The Landlord knows, don't think he would want to change anything, he knows the people upstairs are "smokers" they were down here smokers first.

We bought 3 Windchaser Ionic Air Purifiers and some electrostatic duct filters, the purifies seem to clean out the air throughout the night and during the day when there is no active smoke coming through. When they are home and smoking, the residual smell still comes through the air ducts. The duct work is connected in this home. So I close the vents, then its really cold. So we will buy some type of room heater.

We are also going to try the Hepa filter in the duct work,
but there is no way to stop the smoke from coming in when the heat blows.

Also looking into a bigger better more powerful ion air purifier when we have the funds.

My lips tingle when the smoke starts to come, so I know to close the vents! fun!

Its a nice home, except for the smoke. I will never again
rent a duplex with a smoker or move into a place that had
smokers. This place will just be for a time.

Thanks again! for all your suggestions here and on all the other smoking threads.

Anya

white vinegar white vinegar baking soda baking soda i'm a smoker

I acquired a relatively new refrigerator from a house where someone smoked. The refrigerator has the smell of stale smoke inside. How do I get rid of this odor?

Gretchen from Cincinnati, OH

Answers

By Jaime (Guest Post)

I find that using baking soda is a great deodorizer, especially for refrigerators. You can either mix it with water into a paste to clean the whole fridge or pop open a box and let it sit in there for a while. I've never tried it with cigarette smoke, but it works well with onions.

I think that you could take a few charcoal briquets set on a paper plate or a piece of foil, shut the refrigerator door for a day or so, and the briquets should absorb the smell and you can throw them away.

I was given a raincoat which is a plastic material on the outside and a silky fabric on the inside. The previous owner was a cigarette smoker, and the coat stinks like cigarette smoke. The coat cannot be placed in the washer. I have hung it outside to air for over a week, placed it in the bathtub with Dawn dish soap and cleaned it with a rag, and I have sprayed it with Febreeze. All to no avail. Does anyone have a secret to getting this horrible smell out of the coat so that it can be saved?

By Jocelyn Scalzott from Pittsburgh, PA

I have asthma really bad and get headaches when I smell cigarette smoke coming into my bedroom, even with my bedroom door closed. The AC/heat vents are blocked. I have used candles, and spray alot of air fresheners. Nothing is working. I have an air cleaner and that's not helping either? What can I used that might help keep the smells away from my room?

By Jonathan J R from Philadelphia PA

Is there some legal action I can take about the smoke getting in my apartment from my neighbor downstairs? We are getting sick as if we ourselves smoked. I have a 9 years old affected by the contaminated air too. What can I do to make the air cleaner?

By Marina R

I just purchased a fabric headboard and frame. It looks perfect and I got it for a great price, but, when I got it home I realized just how it reeked of cigarette smoke! I sprayed diluted white vinegar a few times and that didn't help. I also put out bowls of activated charcoal, but that didn't help either. Then yesterday I had it professionally cleaned and the smell seemed gone, but then once it dried the smell is back. Can I get rid of it, or should I just cut my losses and sell it?

By Beard

My grandbaby is visiting soon and I have been doing everything I know to rid the house of cigarette smoke. I have gotten the carpets cleaned. I am also washing draperies and steaming my tile floors. But I still can smell a stale odor even though I haven't smoked in the house in over a year. I'm thinking the walls and my plastic blinds are holding the odor. I heard vinegar and water may work, but I'm afraid the strong smell of vinegar will run everybody out of the house. Suggestions?

By Molly

How do you get rid of cigarette smell in your home?

By Linda

I have been given a brand new wheelchair (electric) which I needed badly, but the lady who had it smoked a lot and it smells of strong cigarette smoke. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to remove the scent from the chair? I have tried Murphy's oil soap, Lysol, Febreze and setting it out in the sun all day.
The chair is regular wheelchair material. Thank you.

By gbk from GA

Could you help me get cigarette smoke out of a plastic covering on a used baby changing table?

Thanks,
Janine

Answers

That dreaded cigarette smoke smell ... Baking soda seems to work wonders on so many things to remove odors. Try spreading dry baking soda heavily all over one side and leave in the sun if possible. Next day do the other side. You might try washing with vinegar and then soapy water.

Peace and God's Blessings
Joan - Dilley TX

Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with about a cup of white distilled vinegar and then dilute with another cup of water. Put this in a spray bottle and use like febreeze.. works better and great for cig smoke.

My sister-in-law gave us a microfiber couch. It's in great shape except they are smokers. Is there anything that will get this cigarette smell out of it?

I have a fiber optic poinsettia tree. How would you clean this tree? It comes from a smoker's home. Does anyone know how to clean the tree?

By Pam

I live in an apartment in a non-smoking building, but my upstairs neighbors were smoking like chimneys. The landlord told them they had to stop and only smoke outside. Though they are no longer smoking indoors, the cigarette smell is still coming out of my heating vents. Is there any way to get rid of this? I hate the smell and it wreaks havoc on my sinuses.

By Maggie

Load More