Killing Drain Flies

I would like to know how to get rid of drain flies. I'm infested with them. Please help.

By Donna from Troy, OH

first would need to know if you are you talking about true drain flies (also known as moth flies) or just a generic gnat you are finding near your drains. Every drain fly issue I have worked with had sewer issues to deal with, usually a busted sewer or drain line, once it was an unused sink that the water in the trap had evaporated which made a straight shot to the city sewer line. For these just having the sewer issue fixed, when the water dries the flies will be gone shortly.

If you are seeing small gnats around certain drains, they may be living in the much of old drains and garbage disposals. Their maggots feed off of the algae and fungi in the muck that can build up. They (fungus gnats) may also be originating from potted plants that are being over watered and the adult gnats have just found their way to other parts of the home (bathrooms, kitchen). A bleach solution to clean the pipes may all that is needed, if from plants you may have to re pot the plants in clean potting soil and cut back on the watering in the future. Have heard that adding a layer of sand will keep the gnats from laying eggs in the wet soil beneath.

over 21 years doing pest control

When I lived in the country I use to get the same. The best thing I found that worked was once in a while pouring a little bleach down the drain. I know it may not be good for the environment, but nothing else seemed to work.

Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceOctober 12, 2009
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Sand Flies
Natural Repellent for Sand Flies
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎄