Brushing Your Cat

Since I became weary in brushing our Persian cat over the many years, I became desperate to find a frugal solution!

Since her favorite place to go daily is into a spare closet to sleep a while, I realized that it is always only partially opened, about her width. And since the inside of the closet door has a long white wire rack on it that goes almost all the way to the floor. Hum-m-m-m, I wondered. You guessed it! I twist-tied the same nylon-bristled hair brush that I had become tired of using/cleaning so often, to the lowest and outermost edge of the rack just at her body height and guess what, it works.

She gets "automatically" brushed on the left side going in, and automatically brushed on the right side coming out. All I have to do is pull the mass of hair "like cleaning a dryer filter basket" each time, and toss into the compost of course, and I do this when I clean her litterbox near the closet, all at the same time. What a time saver and is she a happy kitty! I've tried everything in the past, from scratching posts to lint rollers, and buttered paws. Although she's over-the-hill in age, she's still a little darling having been so sheltered, and she's as healthy as a horse, but no longer a shedding problem.

By Lynda from TX

As I looked back again over this tip, I realized that the litter area description sounds as if IT'S tossed beside the closet, so, CLARIFICATION: The area beside the closet is her litter BOX area which I clean regularly, and then ALSO include lifting the hair off the wire rack-attached cat brush. (It's not easy to grow older gracefully. :? )

Linda, what a brilliant idea for brushing your cat, You should patent it!

I too have a thick furred cat and brush her daily, however I don't have a spare closet.. or spare 'anything'space really, as I co-share and it's an apartment not a house, so I guess I just go on brushing.. Love your idea tho.

Ellie.

What a good (& sneaky!) idea. I wonder if one of those long brushes used to get into tight spaces could be used? Bend it into a U shape and fasten just inside the edge of a cat house or even dog kennel. I bet one day you would see an ecstatic pet purring or grr-ing away as they happily get that annoying itchy spot that couldn't be reached before, too! As long as the hair doesn't tangle, it could be wortha try.

Grooming Your Cat, Tabby Cat Being Groomed
Grooming Your Cat
Pets GroomingSeptember 28, 2006
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Woman Brushing Her Teeth
Brushing Your Teeth
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Backs of a Girl and Standard Poddle with Dreadlocks
Making Dreadlocks
🎄