Keeping Records of Paid Bills

I start my checkbook register at the middle of the register. I have found that I can usually write a month's worth of checks on one page of the register using the front (and back if necessary). I then remove that page of the register and place it with my envelope of paid bills at the end of the month. I will know how much I've written checks for, for the month.

By missjudiinsc from Six Mile, SC

Could you clarify why you start at the middle of the register? What do you do with the pages up front that don't get used? I don't get it. Thanks.

January 12, 2011 Flag

What bills should you keep (that have been paid) for good record keeping? How long do you keep them?

Keeping Records of Paid Bills

I keep almost nothing like that. I can always get copies from the utility co. if I need them (but don't see why I would) or copies of or original canceled checks. (02/19/2005)

Keeping Records of Paid Bills

Anything older than one year I shred and recycle. (02/20/2005)

By Suzie

Keeping Records of Paid Bills

Always, always keep receipts for items you buy. Our house was raided once and everything we didn't have a receipt for, the police kept. The situation had nothing to do with us and my husband lost 40 years of tools he had bought over time, there was nothing we could about it.

By jennydo

Keeping Records of Paid Bills

Ideally 6 years to prevent contract claims arising during statutory limitation period as in all English common-law countries.

By Cicero

Keeping Records of Paid Bills

I have a folder of "Final Statement" receipts showing the zero balance. (03/02/2005)

By Bernadette

Folders labled Bills
Organizing Your Bills
Organizing PaperworkJanuary 12, 2011
Uses for Old Records
Uses for Old Records
Selling Vinyl Records
Selling Vinyl Records
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
A woman paying her bills online.
Paying Bills Online