PaintingHome Improvement

Melamine Paint for Countertops

Do I have to use an oil base paint over melamine paint when I faux paint my Formica countertop? I already did the prep work and applied the first coat of white melamine paint. Thanks.

By Allie from Canada

Answers

I used different colors of melamine paint together. I used Zinsser B-I-N primer-sealer /stain killer first, then I used a sea sponge to faux paint the formica counter. I then applied one coat of Minwax polycrylic protective finish (ultra fast drying clear gloss ), Then I lightly sanded with a 150 grit sandpaper, (use a damp rag to clean the surface off after each sanding in between finish coats. Apply as many finish coats as needed to get a uniform look. It looks very good, sorry, no pic!

Allie in Canada

I've read many posts on painting laminate kitchen counter tops, but I'd like specific advice on making it look good when using Melamine paint. I wanted to skip all the priming, and poly coats at the end, and heard this is the way to go.

The melamine has already been ordered, 2 quarts of "Cabinet Rescue" in white. My current counters are discolored green. My floor is a new nice Italian brownish ceramic tile, and my cabinets are pickled looking light maple. So, I was thinking some in-between color would work (tan), any thoughts?

I've seen some great jobs done here, but they all involved acrylic. Can Melamine get the same effect? If it is possible, what are the steps to do it? I only have 2 quarts and don't know if there's a way to get part of it colorized in a pint size for pouncing, etc. I fear it'll come out looking really lifeless and flat and painted. Then again, I'm also too much of a chicken to try "marbleizing" and don't know if it's possible with Melamine.

The other question is just how much color can be added to white Melamine. One post I read mentioned, it can only be turned to a pastel color, but not darker, as that could affect the paint? What is the best type of paint to add to it for colorizing? I'm afraid the paint people at a store won't know.

Also, what is the best technique and roller/brush to use to apply the paint to the countertop? I would assume, you tape off the sink and maybe use a brush for all the edges. I have many rounded parts of the countertops that tie-into walls that may be tough with a roller, even a small one.

Thanks a bunch.
Scott

Answers:

Melamine Paint for Countertops

I used a light green melamine on my bathroom counter top and pounced dark green over the top and added one coat of clear coat on top. It has lasted for five years beautifully. If I was to redo it I'm not sure I'd use the clear coat on top as it has yellowed a little.

On my kitchen counter I used black latex paint and pounced white latex paint over that. It looks great. I did use two coats of poly over it and it still looks perfect two years later. I used a small sponge roller for the black and used a sea sponge for the pouncing. It was easy to do all of the edges and rolled backsplash this way. Hope this helps in some way. (07/19/2007)

By Connie from Canada