Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Green Countertops

Countertops with distinct colors have a great effect on your choice of wall paint colors that will complement rather than clash. This is a guide about paint color advice for a kitchen with green countertops.

What color would match with a forest green countertop?

By coaster35

Answers

Best Answer

sw6143 Basket Beige - It has enough gold in it to compliment the green but still brown enough to go with everything else. If your not a gold person, one strip over is the sw6150 Universal Khaki which would go well too. If you have a local Sherwin-Williams you can get a sample or view colors online (they're not really the same though).

Best Answer

I have forest green countertops in my kitchen and I painted the walls a deep reddish/burgundy color. I get lots of compliments on it.

I currently have green countertops and light cabinets. I would like some wall paint suggestions.

By Diane from IL

Answers

Yellow comes to mind.

I currently have white cabinets with silver handles and green countertops. I am looking to paint the walls, but I am at a loss for colors. The walls currently are a soft cream color which is beginning to look drab. I am leaning towards a red or orange hue and I really want to brighten up the area. Any thoughts?

By Amanda from Greensboro, NC

Answers:

Advice on Painting Kitchen with Green Countertops

I am a lover of tangerine, peach, and apricot myself. Red I like, but for accents only. Too much red is like too heavy of loud metal music with no beat, just screech! I don't think I would do well with red walls at all! However, you might consider checking out doing perhaps just one wall in a burgundy. That would pop your cabinets. Then do the other walls in a neutral color like you already have, or the same with a bright tangerine. Just one wall is all it takes to liven things up!

And having the whole kitchen done in a super bright color might be a little much. However, I confess that I chose a light apricot color for my living room, and when it went on, it was almost too pinky for my taste. I added some bright tangerine (just a bit) to the lighter color, and loved it; whereas I would not have liked the whole room done in the bright of the tangerine. It would be too loud for my taste, and I like the feeling of peacefulness of a little "softer" color.

Do go to many stores and get paint chips; as the colors are so versatile. And consider "making your own" as I did! (11/02/2010)

By MzScarlett

I have white cabinets with green countertops also. I painted my kitchen a dark red and I love it! I get lots of complements on it. (11/03/2010)

By lilbit524

What paint color should I use for the walls in my breakfast area? It has cherry cabinetry, black appliances, and moss green countertops in the kitchen. The area is open to the family room.

By Chiline from Miami, FL

Answers:

Depending on the family room color, you could go one or two shades lighter than the countertop or the cherry cabinets. Since those 2 elements are dark, I would go lighter with the paint. (07/21/2010)

By Allison5

I would choose a neutral, such as light honey or beige, and continue it in the family room if possible.
Beige sounds boring, but if you get the right one to go with your present colors, it can be perfect. Bring a lot of paint chips home, the bigger the better, and put them up on the wall adjacent to the family room and the kitchen cabinets, with the lights on. Step back to see the effect. Be sure to remove all white edges and other colors from the paint chip strip when you do this. If you can afford it, buy paint samples and paint an area adjacent to the family room and the kitchen cabinets. (07/24/2010)

By shishi

There is a computer program that lets you paint a room, change the colors. You take a picture of the room, download it off your camera and paint. It's great. I did my whole house with it and never had to repaint. (09/20/2010)

By leekelly

I am looking for suggestions on which color to paint my kitchen walls. I have light bleached oak cabinets and my countertop is dark green with black specks in it. My floor is green marble with black and white in it. What color would look best?

By Kathy from Chelsea, MA

Answers:

I would suggest a sage green color for your walls. It will help break up all of the darker green and it is a refreshing color. Good luck. (11/17/2009)

By magrubby

Yellow is the first color that comes to mind, think "sunflowers". (11/19/2009)

By Maryeileen

I have Dark green Corian countertops with a white inlay and oak cabinets. A gray slate laminate floor with new stainless appliances. My walls are currently a white with dark green rag roll finish. I want to update walls with a more neutral color. I am tired of the green countertops but my hubby won't let me replace. Help!

Donna from Toledo, OH

Answers:

Paint the countertops. If it has a smooth finish then sand a little bit so the primer and paint will adhere easily. One coat of primer, then paint whatever color you want. Less to paint means less money out of your pocket. You can paint them, tile them, etc. If you want to find out how to do it yourself, I live on diynetwork.com. It's awesome. (02/10/2009)

By Kellie M.

I have oak cabinets with a honey finish, tan color tile, hunter green counter tops with ultra silver steel appliances. What color should I paint the walls? Any help would be appreciated. The walls are yellow now and they are driving me nuts.

Lance

Answers:

Advice On Painting Kitchen With Green Countertops

I totally agree with the adobe color previously suggested. In addition, it will go really well with the color of your cabinets. (02/13/2008)

By Sharon

Something in the peachy/terracotta family would go well. (02/13/2008)

By perfume and powder

Dear Lance: I'd use a light-med silver/sage green or a med-golden-beige/tan. Basically, you'll want to match the "Honey Finished" oak cabinets, except, go several shades lighter or several shades darker than the cabinets. The basic rule of thumb is to go lighter if your room is smaller & darker if your room is larger. Or go for a silvery/sage green. You can use a light to med shade.

But, be careful, sage can look many different colors, depending on the time of day & the angle of the wall, so try a test area first & look at it through-out the day. You can also take your color choice form the tan colored tiles, but maybe go a bit lighter or darker.

* But: Do yourself a favor, think about your climate! Use a silvery/sage green if you live in a warmer climate (like Southern Calif., FL., Texas or Arizona), because the silvery-sage will be "cooling". If you live in a cooler climate or a place with very little sun (like Seattle), go with the golden-tan shade (to warm & brighten the place up).

One more thing you'll have to keep in mind is this: Can you see in to the kitchen from another room? If so, you'll need to keep the other rooms' color scheme in mind.

You can also bring in a third color (or what I'd call a "second accent" color) of say for example: golden brown, a terra-cotta like color (brick) or black (or dark charcoal gray). This would be done, by using the 3rd accent in 3 - 4 different places spread around the kitchen. Like for example, on chair covers, or stools, picture frame(s), a vase, a utensil holder, cabinet knobs, place mats etc, etc. For a much bolder look, you might be able to get by with the "complement" colors (to your green) of red, burgundy, or tomato. But as I said earlier, it's all about the room(s) that are next to this one. The question you'll have to ask yourself: Can I see into this room from the one next to it. That will help decide your color choice for you.

Don't forget to use an eggshell or better yet a semi-gloss finish on kitchen walls so they can be washed.

In my business, I see a lot of kitchens, because I paint wall murals & tiles for installation. I need to go into peoples homes for exact measurements & consultations. I not only see a lot of beautiful kitchens & baths, but because I'm an artist I also consult on color choices for clients quite often. Feel free to contact me with any questions, here on ThriftyFun.

PS. Most times, it looks really nice to also paint the ceiling the same shade as the walls. You don't have to paint the ceiling a shade of white! You can also use the exact same color as the walls on the ceilings! (This looks great!) Or, If the room is really small, you can go with the same color, but several shades lighter on the ceiling. But, beware of using too light a shade of golden/tan, because the ceiling will look like it's nicotine stained! (I made this mistake once!) Yikes! <*grin*> Better go bright white, than a light dingy, nicotine golden-tan! Either way, have fun No worries, it's only paint! You can always re-do it. But, I suspect, you'll probably love it the first time!

Here's my favorite painting sites:
How to Paint Just About Anything:
http://www.hgtv.ca/articles/articledetails.aspx?ContentId=1915&cat=1&by=3

Decorative Painting Techniques:
http://www.paintquality.com/diy/content/design_6.htm
Choosing the Right Interior Paint:
http://hometips.com/articles/paint/choose_intpaint.html

Home tips: Paint Techniques, Wallpaper & Faux Finishes:
http://www.hometips.com/home_improvement/paint.html
Debbie Travis' painted house:
http://www.painted-house.com/episodes/index.php?sort=technique&view=all

How to paint just about anything:
Choosing the right interior paint:

Virtual painting (seeing your room on your computer before you paint):
http://www.realtor.org/rmomag.NSF/pages/WebReview200602?OpenDocument
Brown bag technique for walls:
http://www.bozzle.com/bbwBonnyeManning.html

Doing a cracked paint finish:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20010427.html
For more,questions, help and ideas: ttp://boards.hgtv.com/eve
DIY forum: http://www.diyforums.net/
DIY chat room: http://www.diychatroom.com/

(02/14/2008)

By Cyinda

I want to paint my kitchen walls, but do not know which color(s) to use. My counter tops are green and my floors have green Formica on them. Any suggestions on the wall color?

I currently have white kitchen cabinets with hunter green countertops. My kitchen walls are all white. I would like to paint the walls, but I don't know what color to paint them.