Browsing: Homemade Yogurt Recipes

Creamiest Homemade Yogurt

• 3 cups powdered milk
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 box (1/2 pint) heavy cream
  • 1 Tbsp. plain yogurt (this will act the starter)
  • food flavoring like vanilla extract, etc. (optional)
  • food coloring (optional)

Directions:

Fill a clean one quart container (I use the large yogurt containers) with 2 cups water. Stir in the plain yogurt, then stir in the cream, then the powdered milk. Then add the rest of the water. Stir once more.

I then place the container in a large (popcorn) bowl lined with an old electric heating pad. I turn the heating pad to low. I cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. Let it sit there for about 12-14 hrs (depends how firm you like your yogurt). Then remove the container from the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hrs before serving.

To serve, stir yogurt to make sure it mixes well. Then you can add sugar, splenda, flavoring (lemon, strawberry, vanilla extract, etc.) and food coloring to make it look like store bought yogurt.

This is so rich and creamy I can only eat about a half a cup at a time. It is very, very good though. You can use this recipe of plain yogurt as a starter for the next batch so you never again have to buy store bought yogurt.

By Matinga

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

You don't say when you add the heavy cream! Help! I would like to use this recipe but it doesn't say when to add the cream!

Hi Ann, we will send Matinga an email and ask her. Thanks for pointing that out.

How much is a box of heavy cream and when do you add it to the mix? I am anxious to try this. Thank you.

We wrote to Matinga but haven't heard back yet. From the recipes I've read online it looks like you add the cream to the milk mixture. I think a box would be a pint but because you are adding fat to your yogurt you might want to try less, say 1/2 cup per batch. We'll post an answer from Matinga if we get one.

-Staff

I hope it is OK to provide a link which I have used to make the best, most fool proof yogurt I have ever made. Although it has a lot of reading material and instructions, after you do it once, all you need to remember are the temperatures. I find it is easier to follow the Centigrade temps on my candy thermometer. Basically, you incubate your yogurt in an ice chest with water surrounding the jars. The water temperature fluctuates very little and can be maintained very easily by removing a cup or so when it gets on the cool side and heating it in the microwave and returning it to the ice chest. This recipe has always worked for me, and I now have it figured out exactly which glass jars to use in a relatively small volume tall ice chest that it doesn't even involve very much water...I have two wide mouth scant half gallon tall jars and a smaller jelly jar for my "next time starter". I fill a tall narrow jar with hot water to put the starter jar on so the lid will be above water. If you visit the link you will see what I'm talking about! Of course, when the yogurt is done, I use the water for my houseplants! Check this link out: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/yogurt_making/YOGURT2000.htm

It is an excellent presentation!

I am sorry for the mix up. You will need one 1/2 pint box of heavy cream or heavy whipping cream. I usually fill the container half way with water first, then stir in 1 tablespoon plain yogurt (you can use your own homemade yogurt as a starter for your next batch), then stir in the cream and then add the remaining water and stir one more time. Then put in the homemade yogurt maker I described before.

The yogurt is super rich. When you take it out of the refrigerator, you may want to stir it very well before serving. Once it is cold, I sometimes use sugar and different artificial flavoring and even food coloring to make the yogurt taste and look more interesting.

Thank you for your interest and let me know what you think.

-Matinga

Editor's Note: We added the new instructions with (*) Thanks for the clarification Matinga.

Homemade yogrut in a brown bowl.
Homemade Yogurt Recipes
Make Your Own MiscellaneousSeptember 1, 2004
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 7:29:07 PM on 10.0.1.195 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.