Kitchen AppliancesHome Improvement

Is it OK to Put a Refrigerator in the Garage?

I am ready to purchase a new refrigerator to replace the one currently kept in my garage. I was told the new refrigerators should not be kept in the garage, because they can no longer handle extreme temperature changes. Can you confirm this and explain if it is true?

By Kay from Cincinnati, OH

Best Answer

I keep an extra fridge in my well house as we have a big garden in the summertime, and I keep fresh produce there. My experience has been that the fridge works and keeps things as well as when I used it in the kitchen, but the freezer doesn't work well. It will keep foods frozen in the summer, but not in the cold. Our well house temperature is controlled by a heater that kicks in if it gets colder than 40º to keep the pump and water tank from freezing. I keep things like flour, oatmeal, and bread in that freezer during the winter. In the summer months it works fine.

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

If it's a new refrigerator, they may not cover the warranty if something happens due to extreme temperature fluctuations. However, I've had garage refrigerators my entire life and they lasted as long as the ones inside the home. They will use more energy however than in your house. A good resource is http://www.gara  efrigerator.html

Well I would call an appliance center and ask to talk to manager, who will get info for you. Or if your current in house fridge is older, swap them out, or go to estate sale and get nice older type. I like to buy from estate sales because often older people bought that one last piece of furniture or appliance and took great care of it, so still has a lot of life in it.

We have always kept a fridge in our garage. It has worked well. The only problem is the older appliance will suck the electricity. So is that is a concern, don't do it. Otherwise, it will keep doing well. We mostly keep sodas and extra condiments in it. I also use the freezer (top style) for most all items. Just be sure you check on it if you have items that will spoil if it does go off!

A lot of people around here have a second refrigerator in their garage. Unplug when you don't need it, to conserve energy and keep the electric bill down. The only time you should really need it is when your having a party or something. Remember to keep the door(s) ajar so it doesn't mildew.