Label Reusable Containers With Dry Erase Markers

Use dry erase board markers for labeling plastic food storage containers. They will easily wash off with soapy water.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

February 3, 2011 Flag

I buy most of my dry goods in bulk and store them in the pantry in re-used glass or plastic containers. Rather than labeling the containers with tape which sometimes leaves the sticky residue, I use erasable markers (vis-a-vis), the kind that wipe off with water. We use the same markers on the wipe-off calendar to keep up with the family schedule.

I write on the side of the container what it is, and the basic directions, and the date. Several items appear the same, and the kids can easily tell the difference now between flour and pancake mix. The marker will smudge if handled with wet hands, but when that happens I just re-write it.

By jwheeler from Stockton, IA

Do you have an MSDS sheet on the Dry Erase Markers? (05/04/2010)

By Carol L.

What a great idea! I had often wanted to label my containers but didn't want to use permanent marker as the next time I used a certain container, it might have different items in in it. Thanks for this tip! (05/04/2010)

By LisaE2

May 29, 2009 Flag

I use my dry erase markers to label things in my kitchen. Like if we are having a party, I will mark the outside of my reusable plastic container with what is in it. (Like "sweet/unsweet tea" on the outside of a Rubbermaid gallon tea pitcher) or if I am bleaching it (after much use it tends to get stained) I will write 'bleach water' on the lid then no one will accidentally drink it. I also label and date the tops of plastic containers that have left-overs in them. That way I know what is in them and how long they have been in there. They wipe or wash right off when you are done and no guessing what is in your containers or having to tell your guests what is in the pitchers.

By Chrissie W from St. Pete, FL

Pill Bottles on White Background
Removing Labels from Plastic Containers
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsFebruary 3, 2011
Wet Erase Marker
Removing Wet Erase Marker Stains
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
birthday countdown tile
Making a Dry Erase Count Down Tile