Moss on Fruit Trees

By Kelly 20 512

Q: I have a pear, apple and plum tree on the property I am renting. They have a lot of moss all over them. is this common (we have wet winters) or should I look into spraying? Any ideas?

Kelly from Willamina, OR

A: Kelly,

Moss and lichens growing on your trees in the Pacific Northwest is not uncommon. They aren't usually harmful to trees, unless of course they become to too heavy-making the braches susceptible to wind damage. Most moss grows on older trees in conditions where the sunlight is diffused. One way to decrease its potential for growth is to allow for more direct sunlight around your fruit trees and pruning to create better air circulation. In regards to removing the moss, don't spray or you may damage the tree. The best way to remove it is also the most labor intensive-by hand. Care needs to be taken not to harm any active growth or new buds, so this is best done in the winter months when the tree is in a dormant state. An alternative to removal by hand is to spray the moss off of the trees with a power washer. This should also be done during the tree's dormant period to prevent damage from the high water pressure. This method isn't suitable to more delicate trees. Hope this helps!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The moss would mainly be on the north side of the trees and this is due to cold and dampness from the north.A clean up would make a difference and dry the moss for silk flower arrangement bases.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kelly 20 512 Flag

Thanks, it is mostly on the North west.....and the stretch of storms don't help!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Angela Faulkner 2 6 Flag

Whatever you do, dont handle the moss without vinyl or latex gloves and a dust mask.....it contains many allergens and bacteria/fungus.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kattankerous 39 Flag

Hi Kelly... is it the hanging type of moss? Or is it the scaly type that is on the bark?

I know the hanging type, Spanish Moss , as most people know it, will not hurt trees unless it gets really heavy with it and inhibits bugs. And like Bev said, you can pull it off and dry it for alot of uses!

If its the other type, i think there is a spray for it... i will look.

~kat

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jackie 10 Flag

Kelly,I have the same thing here in North Fl. My feed & garden store told me to get sulfer phosfate to mix & spray during the dormany season (Jan & Feb) If you wait any longer the blooms wil rot and fall off!! I really need this done badly this season as I didn't get to do it last season due to bad heath problems!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kelly 20 512 Flag

Thank you everyone! Looks like I have both. I will make sure DH does the spray.....won't have the pleasure to! I hope to enjoy some pears this year.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I also live in north fl. and have moss on my apple trees, they are young trees and have been taken over with the scaly type of moss and spanish moss.

what can i do.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have some apple trees that have moss and need to know if I can spray with bleach and water mixture, will this help? Or what is best? and when should this be done? They are big tall trees and I need to help them, as I do get apples.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJanuary 13, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Lawn being replaced by moss.
Getting Rid of Moss in Your Lawn
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 1:36:31 PM on 10.0.0.218 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings