Can I Freeze Havarti Cheese?

I bought Havarti cheese from Costco, I would like to freeze some. Is it OK, as long as I use my food saver?

By Sandie

Softer cheeses tend to crumble when thawed. I have frozen havarti cheese before and it crumbled....But it was Ok for grilled cheese and such.

I have purchased big blocks of cheddar, mozzarella and jack cheeses to food-saver into smaller sized 1 pound chunks and have never had a problem with keeping these chunks in the refrigerator. I have been able to keep my cheeses for months this way! Just make sure there is not a bit of air in the package and to mark them well. If there is accidently one with just a little bit of air, make sure to mark to use that one first. Don't try to food-saver grated cheese, they come out in a big chunk that you have to try to crumble anyway, and there is the possibility of having air that will allow mold to grow on the cheese.

Anonymous

Yes you can! Just wrap well and tightly in plastic wrap before placing in your food saver. Try to use it by around two months for best flavor. Yes, it will be crumbly but crumbled Havarti is wonderful to use in vinegar and oil dressed salads and melts well so you can easily use it in omelets, and pasta, rice and veggie dishes. :-)

Anonymous

P.S. I read somewhere long ago that all cheese freezes better if packaged in one pound or less blocks.