How ToClothing

How Do I Make a Plus Size Water Resistant Apron?

I'd like to make an apron that is both a plus size (as in size 26) and somewhat water resistant. When washing the dishes, water goes through a regular apron. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

By Vi from VT

Oil cloth would be rather bulky, when I was a kid that is what we used for an everyday table cloth. At fabric stores you can get fabric that is for making cushions for outdoor furniture. My thought is that the fabric has to be somewhat water repellant. It also comes in pretty prints. I have never got so wet while doing dishes that I had to worry about it. This includes having done dishes in a fast food place. I am a lot bigger than a size 26.

Use a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth as the fabric to cut out your apron pattern. It won't ravel, so the only sewing involved would be the attaching of the ties, Buy one at a dollar store, and cut out your pattern with pinking shears. They're available in lots of colors and patterns, and are just about water proof vinyl side out.

I have made them with a plastic bag & a wire coat hanger or you could use a string instead of wire, just cut the bag open. Cut it the size you need, place the string or wire 2 inches from the edge then use tape to make the hem, just don't get too close to fire with it, good luck.

Try to find a restaurant supply catalog that has dishwasher aprons. They will tell you what size the larger sizes are. I forget any sites in particular. You might Google dishwasher aprons or plus size aprons. I agree that there aren't a lot of patterns. When I worked food service I made my own to fit me.

I forgot the second part. I made mine by putting a large trash bag up in front of me with a cord for the neckstring and then pinned the sides to where I wanted them and used that for a pattern.

Thanks! I appreciate all the replies. (And I never thought of using a flannel backed tablecloth.) The counters in our house are high for me and I'm a little short. You get the point, I'm sure.

Thanks again!

Vi, I read somewhere to make outdoor pillows to use shower curtains because they repel water. Why couldn't use the material in them to make your aprons. I would buy one at a thrift store or yard sale to try this. Hope this info helps you, Joanie