Advice About Renting Rooms In My House

I am looking for advice about renting rooms in my house. What is your experience? What do you charge for rent? Where do you stand with meals and laundry? Is this an option in your experience?

Sheila from Ont, Canada

I think the first thing you have to do is consult with your local council as to whether this is permissable, You don't want to do anything illegal! If that part is all right, sit down and make a list for yourself. There are many things to consider.

How many rooms do you want to rent out?

Will you offer meals or room only?

Will you do laundry or allow the person to use your washing machine.?

Do you want a female resident only, or is a male okay?

Do you have pets? (it's advisable to let a prospective renter know if you have a dog or a cat, some people are allergic, some just don't like animals)

Will you supply bedlinen?

Will you give them a key?

If yours is a non smoking house as most are now, is it alright for the person to smoke in your backyard/garden if a smoker?

You can tick your list off as you go along.

Ask for references and agree on a fair payment. Don't make it so high that the poor thing has to say No, and sleep on the street that night, but don't cheat yourself out of anything either! Good luck!

Getting tennants by word of mouth is better than getting them from the newspaper. A friend knew I was a great landlord so he matched me up with his parents who needed a place to stay. They paid me $350 per month for years to rent the bottom half of my house and I never raised their rent. They paid for my house a couple times over. It has been cheap rent for them and a steady income of supplimental spending mony for me.

You must be very, VERY careful. Renting rooms in your own home is much different from renting out a home you own but do not live in. I have let people that I've been friends with for more than 20 years stay with me and things started disappearing. I would never have thought that this person would have done this, especially when I gave them my hospitality, shared my home, my food and everything else with them free of charge, and then, this. So please be careful with who you rent to.

I am happy with my housemate, and I charge half the mortgage. I told her that we would see what difference she makes in the utility cost compared to the previous bills from the same time a year ago, and there was none. Apparently they charge me a minimum utility cost and we haven't exceeded that. We split the refrig and cupboard space somewhat, and whoever feels like cooking, cooks. How did I find a good housemate? PRAYER.

Business and Legal BusinessMay 20, 2008
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Small living room with two red sofas and a wood coffee table.
Furnishing a Small Living Room
Post it note that says clean your room on it.
Getting Kids to Keep Their Rooms Clean
🎉
🎄