Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Inexpensive Ideas for Decorating a Church Hall

I am looking for some helpful hints or ideas for decorating a church basement centered around a royalty theme.

By Janine from Babylon, NY

By dede smith [17]06/21/2010

I work at a recycle facility and anytime I need to make a prop for our parade float or party I raid the cardboard!
Some paint and cheap silk vines and flowers will make it look posh.
Maybe do a garden theme? large sheets of heavy cardboard can be painted gray, like columns and topped with a plants to look like a garden setting. Sandwich a silk bushes of ivy in between 2 urn cutouts and you have planters.
trail wisteria or more vines from the ceiling and give it an alcove look.
Might need a throne or two, and you can cut out and fold/wrap the cardboard around the back of a chair to dress it up to look like a throne.
Maybe this is the Queen of Hearts garden from Alice in Wonderland? You would need some giant playing cards.
A treasure chest flowing with gold? Black silhouettes of dancing couples? These are easy enough to do with paint and cardboard.
You can also poke holes in your props from the back and affix Christmas lights in the holes, from the back, to light them up.
A chandelier cleaned up or remade from a thrift store/garage sale/junk yard?
Just a few ideas.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Inexpensive Ideas for Decorating a Church Hall

I have to decorate our church hall and I need decorations! I need ideas of things I can make on the cheap side. Thanks.

Sandy from Mtn. View, AR

RE: Inexpensive Ideas for Decorating a Church Hall

Do you have a theme? When our church has special functions, such as a missionary coming from China; they asked church members to bring in any decorations with a Chinese theme. Our WMU needed globes one time and I loaned mine out. Just make sure everyone clearly marks their item. Then you can fill in with inexpensive items from the Dollar Tree or Michael's type stores. Maybe your church already has some things such as silk flowers in storage for use as well. (03/05/2009)

By kghsave

Balloons are inexpensive and always add a festive feel. You can decorate with paper. Make paper chains, paper mobiles to fit your theme, hang mobiles like snowflakes from the ceiling. (03/05/2009)

By diane0514

Our church uses small homemade flower boxes for silk flowers like fake carnations. We covered the cut box (make any size) with gift wrap or any paper, and ribbon bows. Make a paper table runner for tables, or cut out 8 inch shapes in theme for the tables with a runner or two widths of runner one wider and one smaller. Ask ladies to lend decorations, as they usually have many. Plastic table runner rolls are inexpensive, in many colors and can be used for draping like hiding bookshelves. Think "recycle" and you will come up with some of your own ideas. Check the internet for table decoration ideas for more help. (03/07/2009)

By karen608

Think recycle, it's cheap. Use plastic water bottles and pop bottles as vases, cut off the tops and paint the bottles or leave them clear. Coffer filter flowers are beautiful, see picture attached. Go to the bush and look for branches which also look beautiful plain or you can hang ribbon or eggs, etc. from them. Put the branches in a bottle or vase with sand or pebbles found anywhere. There are so many ideas, but it depends on what theme or style you want to show. Hope this is at least a little helpful. (03/07/2009)

By Enza

Set up the overhead projector and make silhouettes of everyone. Use a rainbow of paper colors. Cheap and easy! People will go along with this much better than they will photos. This is a job for the youth. (03/14/2009)

By kimhis