How to Set the Price for a Benefit Meal?

I am putting together a benefit for my neighbor and his family, who is currently battling Stage 4 cancer. We are stuck at the food price. We are planning on serving Sloppy Joes, hot dogs, potato salad, beans, and some desserts. The meal also includes unlimited pop. Do you think $10 is too high?

If you think it is too high, what would be a good price? Another thought I had was to break it out and make each thing for sale separately or like Sloppy Joe and chips or hot dog and chips. Thoughts?

By smlefrooth from IGH, MN

Do it by donation. People usually give more than you would have asked for.

I agree - donation works best - a few years ago I did a LOT of fundraisers for a 10-year-old girl with brain cancer. I, too, wondered how to charge for items at our first bake sale. We were at a cancer fundraiser where we donated a portion of our proceeds to the American Cancer Foundation and the people at the table next to us suggested this. I was amazed at the money that came in. Through her whole illness, everything we did - bake sales, car washes, etc. was by donation.

We don't do donation around where I live. We set a price. I do think $10.00 is too much. I would say $7.00

Here (Cincinnati) we charge a price to get in, usually $25 or more. If you go with donation, try to get most of your stuff donated (food, drinks, paper and plastic goods add up!).

Ask area businesses for items or gift certificates, and raffle them off...sell tickets for $1 each and the buyers put them in a little box for the prize they want. Acknowledge donors on your program and send one to them, you might want to ask them again. The program can be made on anyone's computer.

Ask around to find someone who plays music, just a kid with a guitar helps, and put that in your publicity. Or if someone offers to DJ, then call it a dance.

Remember you want to make as much money as you can. It isn't about giving the customers a good value, it's about donating to your friend. You don't want to charge so much that people won't come, but you do want to make enough that it was worth while.

If you are planning on selling all of that together, sloppy joe, hot dog, sides, dessert, AND unlimited pop; then $10 is not too high, not for something like that. You may also want to consider an offer of the sandwich; their choice, one side, one dessert, and drink for $5 or $7, in addition to the larger meal.

You might try "suggested donation, $7.50" or "suggested donation, $10." I agree that getting goods and any entertainment donated is the best plan. But I'm pretty sure folks will be more generous if they know the circumstances. I suggest you post your friend's picture and story prominently. Call the local newspaper and any local TV and radio stations. They'll be happy to give you publicity, and may add a generous donation as well.

God bless you for your open-heartedness, and God bless and keep your friend.

I do think $10 is a little high in this economy. You could try a hot dog, chips and a drink for $3.00 to $3.50, dessert for $1.50-$2.00, or sloppy joe, potato salad, baked beans, and drink for $5.00-$6.00. That way people could pick and choose how much to spend and what they like to eat. We are a family of 6 and I would not spend $60 on hot dogs/sloppy joes, but I would probably spend $30-$40 for a hot dog meal and dessert. Hope that helps!

Better Living Charity FundraisingAugust 4, 2009
Shirts on Sale
Tips for Price Matching
Making Fudge
Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set
Preparing a Passover Meal
Preparing a Passover Meal
Goo Gone, cleaner used for removing price tags.
Removing Price Tags
🎉
🎄