Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I use 1 cup grated and powdered Fels naphtha, 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda which I mix and use as a dry powder laundry detergent. I want to use 1 tbsp. for light large loads. Should I use 1 rounded tbsp. or 1 level tbsp.? I change my clothes everyday and they don't get dirty since I work inside. What do you use that is working for you?

Mary from Chicago

I have great luck with the soap on adult barely dirty and child with food stains on the tshirt. I have used all sorts of soaps, but I like Dr Bronners scented castile soaps when I can find them on sale. We use olive oil soap to pretreat the food stains and it makes a big difference on milk and meat stains. We have made it for gifts, starter kit to thriftier and greener ways for our friends. We've done projects at school and spoken about how the media sells scent as clean, when the lack of smell is probably the best for all of us. We make our soap in an empty oxyclean bucket. We grind the soap with an inexpensive cheese grater (shreds it very fine and has lasted through many processes) add the rest the ingredients to the bucket and then put the lid on bucket and let my daughter shake and roll it to mix. We let is settle for several hours before taking the lid off for a final stir. Helps with the soap fumes.

I totally don't get this. What is washing soda? Plus, where in the world do you get this stuff.... the Felsnaptha, too? I am new to this, please let me know if I can save money. Four kids and lots of laundry at the coin-op, so plz let me know. Thanks

Washing Soda is in the laundry aisle near the Boraxo and dry bleach. Fels Naptha is near the hand soaps, at my store, on the bottom shelf. When I think of it, I buy a few bars at a time, as you never know when any store may stop carrying it. I like Fels Naptha to rub on stains, some old, mostly new. Most always takes all the stain out. I have not made this dry laundry soap as I am usually a skeptical person. I do use washing soda and rub on Fels Naptha, so I guess there is no reason it wouldn't work!

December 11, 2008 Flag

I am thinking about using the homemade dry laundry detergent. Can you use it in cold water or do you need to mix it with warm water first before adding to the wash?

Lee Anna from Lafayette, IN

Answers:

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I would mix it in a little bit of warm water, then turn it to cold (even most coin-op washers will let you change the water while it's running.) The borax can take a little while to break down, but if you use soap in the recipe, it is the big factor in residue. I actually use just borax and washing soda, then vinegar (about 1/2 cup) in the rinse, and my stains, even blood, come RIGHT out. I use 50/50 washing soda and borax, and throw in 1/2 cup to wash. The soap flakes got up my lungs, and I had too much residue (gray) on my whites. For cold wash delicates, try dollar store baby shampoo. It is powerful for stains and gentle on the colors! (08/12/2006)

By camo_angels

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I have been using the grated soap/borax/washing soda combo for some months now. I also use the baking soda/water/vinegar fabric softener, and I have noticed no soap residue whatsoever. I start each load with hot water, add the soap mix, and wait until I get an inch of water. Then I stop, let it sit for a minute or so while I gather the clothes to be washed. It only takes a short time for the mix to dissolve. Then I switch to cold and turn the washer back on. (08/12/2006)

By Ree 127

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I used homemade powder laundry soap for a long time a few years ago without a problem. I had to stop since my daughter has eczema and it was really bad on her skin. We never used anything but cold water except for whites (hubby just likes the whites washed in HOT water).

Also, something to think about... a lot of the recipes say FelsNaptha, but I had good luck using other soaps too. I liked using Dial when I could get it on sale, but like I said, with DD's eczema the only soap she could use was Dove Sensitive so it wasn't very cost effective for us. (08/13/2006)

By nikkiev

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I use it all the time in only cold water. Never a problem. (08/14/2006)

By Linda

Using Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

I've been using it for awhile now with no problems. I don't even let mine dissolve before I throw the laundry in there (I use zote, washing soda, and borax). I turn on my cold water and throw in my laundry, never had any problems. (08/15/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Laundry Detergent
Making Homemade Laundry Detergent
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesDecember 11, 2008
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🎉
🎄