Transplanting a Butterfly Bush

Can a butterfly bush be transplanted after it has been planted in the ground for 13 months? It was given in memory of my 20 year old son's murder in 7/06. My sister says it will die and I should buy another one, but it was given by my brother and I want THAT BUSH because it was bought for a special purpose! Please tell me it will be safe to move it to my new home.

Robin from Hanover, PA

Yes, you can transplant a butterfly bush. I see that you are from Pennsylvania and I think that is gardening zone 5 so it would be better if you waited till spring to do it. I would cut it back some then and then transplant. It should be fine. They are very resilient.

If you would like more info has a gardening link. In it you will find in the left hand column an "Ask the Experts". Click into it and join. It allows you to ask any gardening questions and a panel of experts will answer you within about one to two days. It is wonderful and has solved a great deal of my problems! I love it. Don't forget to include where you live, [town and state] and the location information. [where you want to plant it.] I like to tell them everything, like if it is a shady or sunny location, what the soil is like etc.. It gives them a lot more ability to give advice. Good luck!

I live in south eastern ct. and I planted a butterfly bush 3 years ago. It is taking over that part of my garden. Can I transplant a portion of it or do I have to transplant the whole thing? mskimberlyr AT

I moved one and it died shortly after. I would take some cuttings to root just in case something happens to the original bush. The cuttings root and grow quite easily.

Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingSeptember 6, 2007
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes